Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some difficulty sighting in my Vortex Stikefire II red dot on my 5.56 (62 grain ammo).

I went to MF (30 yards) and quickly realized I could not see the holes in the paper. I brought it into 15 yards and made adjustments (many) so the POI was where I was aiming.

I then moved it out to 30 yards and was at least 6" high. I was surprised to see such a difference in only 15 yards.

I bought a cheap scope with me to use as a spotting scope but it was still hard to see the holes in the paper at 30 yards.

Here are my questions:
- is 6" high normal from a 15 yard zero at 30 yards?
- I felt like I had to adjust a lot (turning the turret 20 clicks for 1") for a slight change in elevation. Is this normal?
- how does one site in a red dot at 100 yards? I don't see how I could even see the bullseye from that distance without magnification (nor the impacts)

I'm accustomed to sighting in scopes but this is my first red dot. I was out of splatter targets which didn't help either.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Check out this video. Pls read the description. It may explain what is going on with your Vortex at such short distances. Sadly manufacturers play it a little lose with the definition of PARALLAX FREE.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
What's the barrel twist- 62gr in a 1/7 is still acceptable as a 4MOA rifle.

While 6" does sound extreme - remember you are 2" above bore with the red dot. I would forget the 15yd zero and just move to the 30. My vortex has one MOA per click so too many moves can open up real quick.

I shoot 5 rds and then bring the target in and mark off holes with a marker. I then make adjustments and re-shoot.

One friend tried to get his AR red dot zeroed at 7yds which meant he needed a 20MOA shift and then couldn't understand why he was so off at further distances.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the barrel twist- 62gr in a 1/7 is still acceptable as a 4MOA rifle.

While 6" does sound extreme - remember you are 2" above bore with the red dot. I would forget the 15yd zero and just move to the 30. My vortex has one MOA per click so too many moves can open up real quick.

I shoot 5 rds and then bring the target in and mark off holes with a marker. I then make adjustments and re-shoot.

One friend tried to get his AR red dot zeroed at 7yds which meant he needed a 20MOA shift and then couldn't understand why he was so off at further distances.
Yes it is 1/7 twist.

It sounds like it is not the red dot then. That's good.

Great idea to mark off the rounds with a pen! I tend to get mixed up on which round was which

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
With my old eyes, I use the splatter targets. Black/yellow or black/orange.
Makes it easier to see even out to 100 yds.

Reactions: dank27

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
One more thing - make sure you are bracing the rifle on the table or with a stand. If you are shooting off the shoulder, you will have a much more difficult time at zeroing the rifle

I usually sit in a chair and balance the rifle fore-end across the counter. I also use a bit of an exaggerated C clamp to hold down the front end while shooting. Not the most comfortable but it works.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more thing - make sure you are bracing the rifle on the table or with a stand. If you are shooting off the shoulder, you will have a much more difficult time at zeroing the rifle

I usually sit in a chair and balance the rifle fore-end across the counter. I also use a bit of an exaggerated C clamp to hold down the front end while shooting. Not the most comfortable but it works.
As much as I love MF, the tables are at the worst height for rifle. I had my elbows down holding the rifle like that but I'll see if I can bring a brace of some sort.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
counters at MF really made for handguns. I use a tripod for my rifles. it's fairly stead, brings it up to a height i need--more or less--and is good for zeroing in

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
MItchell Field is the worst for sighting in, the yardage is odd. Take it to Calverton and sight in at 100. You really should have a spotter to help you with calling out impacts. Have sandbags for the front and back (it really helps to stabilize the rifle to have a rear sandbag).
I sighted my AR at 100 yards and I have been using it like that for matches. It's a little high at point blank on some stages, just right at 10-100 yards (that little bullet shoots pretty flat).
I use a 6" steel disk at 100 yards and the dot just covers it, and as long as I get the DING, I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
there are a few charts online which can guide you as to the correction of zero when you go futher.

I zero'ed my Primary Arms red dot at 25yds but I wanted to have a 50 yd zero on the rifle. so what I did, I shot 5 rds at 25 yds to fully zero the rifle. Then I measured the average drop of the 223 at different yardage and then I adjusted my clicks accordingly from 25 yds to 50 yds. It brought the rifle to 99% there. And again 5 rds where I could closely estimate the zero to be and done!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MItchell Field is the worst for sighting in, the yardage is odd. Take it to Calverton and sight in at 100. You really should have a spotter to help you with calling out impacts. Have sandbags for the front and back (it really helps to stabilize the rifle to have a rear sandbag).
I sighted my AR at 100 yards and I have been using it like that for matches. It's a little high at point blank on some stages, just right at 10-100 yards (that little bullet shoots pretty flat).
I use a 6" steel disk at 100 yards and the dot just covers it, and as long as I get the DING, I'm happy with it.
I've yet to make it to Calverton or Brookhaven as they are pretty far east of me but I may have to bite the bullet and go out there.

This rifle is intended to be a HD so I'm debating on the best zero range. I've read that 100 or even 200 is better than 15 due to the ballistics.

A spotter would be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
there are a few charts online which can guide you as to the correction of zero when you go futher.

I zero'ed my Primary Arms red dot at 25yds but I wanted to have a 50 yd zero on the rifle. so what I did, I shot 5 rds at 25 yds to fully zero the rifle. Then I measured the average drop of the 223 at different yardage and then I adjusted my clicks accordingly from 25 yds to 50 yds. It brought the rifle to 99% there. And again 5 rds where I could closely estimate the zero to be and done!
Good idea. I'll do some research to save myself some ammo. I burned through almost 90 rounds this weekend. When sighting in my scopes its usually only 10 before I'm zeroed.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
counters at MF really made for handguns. I use a tripod for my rifles. it's fairly stead, brings it up to a height i need--more or less--and is good for zeroing in
Which one do you use? I got a monopod once but it had too much swivel in the head so I returned it.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
I've yet to make it to Calverton or Brookhaven as they are pretty far east of me but I may have to bite the bullet and go out there.

This rifle is intended to be a HD so I'm debating on the best zero range. I've read that 100 or even 200 is better than 15 due to the ballistics.

A spotter would be very helpful.
Home defense? You have a 50 yard long/wide house? Planning on a zombie apocalypse?
Get a shotgun and leave the rifle for the longer ranges.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Home defense? You have a 50 yard long/wide house? Planning on a zombie apocalypse?
Get a shotgun and leave the rifle for the longer ranges.
I have a shotgun already (several). This is a lightweight / lower recoil rifle I am hoping my gf can use if SHTF. It wouldn't be the first thing I grab but I would like to have the option

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just be mindful of your back stop when defending your home with a .223 or any round for that matter. But especially a rifle.

Zero at 100 if at all possible. On a rest/table with bags. During daylight on an outdoor range keep your reticle brightness level as low as possible to keep from drowning out your point of aim.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
I was shooting yesterday with a guy that didn't know squat about sighting in his rifles. He wasted a lot of ammo...308's . I was there once also. Like others mentioned...you need a solid consistent base to shoot from. You need to see where you are hitting on the target measure your height and windage You have to know how to adjust ...16 clicks = 1" at 25 yards.

If you are using a scope rather than a red dot, with the rifle bagged shoot three shots. If they are tightly grouped, holding the same original point of aim crank the crosshairs until they are over the bullet group. Voila! your scope is sighted in.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Check out this US Army doc on BATTLE SIGHT ZEROing your rifle....this is the basic/universal way to do it for a defensive weapon...

www.usaac.army.mil/amu/assets/zeroing.pdf

1 - 20 of 24 Posts