Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I had my girlfriend out for her first "real" camping trip, as in loading stuff in a backpack and hiking her 7 miles into the middle of nowhere to set up camp. We had a great time, but now are looking for a place we can make a bit cushier.

My requirements: can drive a car up to. This way we can take more gear. Must offer some degree of privacy- I don't want other campers to be 50 feet from our tent where they can hear our conversations and see everything we're doing. Preferably has some nearby hiking trails. I am pretty sure alcohol is prohibited at any campgrounds, but some places are less strict as in if you keep it discreet they really won't give you a hard time. I don't want to be some place where a park ranger stops by and checks inside our cups. Last requirement is that I don't want to drive more than 2 hours outside NYC.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Personally I love North/South Lake in Tannersville, NY.

Other campers are closer than 50', but the Escarpment Trail is nice and the nearby hike to Kaaterskill Falls is awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I've got a great place about a two hours drive. Hour 1: Drive to Kennedy Airport. Fly Delta to Seattle. Drive 2: About an hour to Fort Worden Park on the Puget Sound or Mount Rainier Park.

We spent a lot of time in both New Hampshire on the south slope of Mount Washington and in Virginia on the AT along Skyline Drive...

and to be somewhat specific out your actual request....check out North Mountain (state park? near Hunter ski area). Not sure what it's like today, but when we where hiking it was real nice.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Any land in the Catskills Forest Preserve that is not private is open to camping. I'd stay out of the campgrounds unless a flush toilet is a must-have. The other campers tend to be rude and the campsites themselves are always dirty (and I've had rats or mice 5 out of the last 5 times).

Link to a bunch of maps showing some good places to try: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5265.html

The rules on camping, especially stay away from roads/water: http://www.dec.ny.go...door/41282.html

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts

·
Unappreciated while still alive
3,801 Posts
Peconic River Campgrounds might not be a bad idea. I believe it is owned by the guy that owns Calverton firing range. I don't think he gets a lot of business, so privacy might be good.
I based this on a phone call I made to them a couple weeks ago. They have porta potties, so my lady said absolutely not.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Mt. Desert Campground by Acadia National Park in Maine. More trails than you can hike, carriage roads for bicycling and lobster (shedders) is only $3.99 a pound. Plus Bar Harbor is close by if you need a night out. Not roughing it, but a great place for tha ladies.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Mt. Desert Campground by Acadia National Park in Maine. More trails than you can hike, carriage roads for bicycling and lobster (shedders) is only $3.99 a pound. Plus Bar Harbor is close by if you need a night out. Not roughing it, but a great place for tha ladies.
when I rode my ten speed bicycle fom lon island to nova scotia, I camped at mt.desert for a couple of days...and spent the last night with a hottie from Brooklyn in my little pup tent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.