Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sharp Shooter!
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up a new SWR, anyone have any recommendations?

Currently running an older radio shack CB (soon to change when the group buy happens) with a k40

Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
yea check out rightchannelradios.com thay have a HUGE assortment of CB stuff and I got my whole firestik antenna and SWR meter as a package there with the mount/spring/etc...

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
Do you NEED an SWR meter?  Unless you have a really adjustable antenna (the K40 has some adjustment, but usually you just use the factory recommended setting and they work well) or you're going to null out your cable (which you can't really do on a mobile antenna anyway) there's really not a lot of point.   Just my 2¢

·
Registered
785 Posts
no antenna comes set from the factory. The mounting location of the antenna/ ground plane/length of feed wire/type of mount all play a role in the swr. So you and I could have the same truck, same antenna but I put it on the roof and you mount it on the bumper. My SWR should be close to 1:1 (but no way to know) and yours could be ok or horrible, still no way to tell without an swr meter. If your swr is 1:3 you would work ok, but your signal would be weaker and you will put stress on the transmitter. Any more than 1:3 and you will blow up the transmitter.

Oh and all antennas are adjustable. You lengthen them by cutting the cover off slightly and uncoiling, or shorten by cutting a little bit off at a time until you get the desired swr.

·
Registered
360 Posts
yes...I definately suggest buying a tuneable antenna from either your local shop or online at the site i suggested...it will work 1000x better than some cheap-o walmart or radio shack pretuned magnetic antenna or a similar product...the 40 bucks for the good antenna goes a longgggggg way!  trust me.

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
The K-40 has a factory recommended setting, kind of a default setting if you're not going to try and tune it. They're base loaded with a center whip, there's a set screw you loosen and pull the whip up a certain amount from bottomed out. It should be in the paperwork. You're not going to truly null the cable on a mobile setup, unless you plan on coiling up a lot of coax in your trunk... maybe half or quarter, but even then.. and your sure not going to do it on a short pre-made setup like a K-40.

The K-40 is a decent little antenna for the money.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
back in the day I had a cb in my car no amp just a nice unit that was all tuned and set up by a trucker. He set the swr meter antenna etc. I could talk as clear as day to anyone within 50 miles I talked with my brother in danbury ct with no problem from farmingdale. A truly tuned system means the world. Wish I still had the radio...

·
Sharp Shooter!
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sbninja said:
Is your current "older" Radio shack meter not working? If so, why not get another one from radio shack?
The older radio shack is the CB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.