Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I saw on the Outdoors channel and the knife from SOG looks nice. I was told to carry a folding one with me and one with a fixed handle in the backpack. I want something durable so it doesn't necessarily have to be razor sharp. Another thing I want is the ease of opening and closing. My friend had one that opened nice and was a pain to close. It would be nice if it didn't break the bank too.

Thank in advance guys. I'm really looking forward to hunting this season.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check south shore sportsman. The owner is a retired nassau leo who explained to me that while hunting or fishing it is legal to own a knife that can be opened with one hand such as a spring assist as long as it is kept with hunting and fishing gear. As far as the fixed blade I carry a ka-bar and several skinning knives. The fastest way to sharpen a knife is to have another knife. You never know when you might get that monster buck that is to heavy to drag out alone. Happy hunting and good luck this year.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
Every knife should be as sharp as you can make it. A dull knife is a dangerous knife because you will use more pressure while cutting and the knife can slip and you can hurt yourself.
You don't have to break the bank on a folder. Buck makes some very nice knives and they are reasonably priced. I have an older buck folder and I'd be damned if you can break it during normal use. It's all steel, brass, and bone scales.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
if you want a good hunting knife the campsite has a nice selection do not get one that's too big you need one that's fits in your hand and you can place your finger under the back of the knife to hold it up so you don't cut any thing you don't need to I like a folding knife with a case in case you fall the blade will not cut or stab you make shore it locks into place

·
Registered
527 Posts
I like the assisted opening knives... if you're in a jam, only have easy access to your folder, and only have one hand to open it, these are VERY handy. I understand it is [was - have not checked recently] also legal to carry a switchblade afield while hunting. SOG makes some nice assisted knives, as does Gerber, and they lock open solidly.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I've been looking into getting a havalon knife mainly bc it has interchangeable surgical grade blades. Each blade comes individually sealed and razor sharp.

If you don't have the means to readily sharpen knives, or afraid the blade might go dull in the field, this seems to be a great option. Don't have one yet but will likely be in my pack by time I head out to hunt

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I've been looking into getting a havalon knife mainly bc it has interchangeable surgical grade blades. Each blade comes individually sealed and razor sharp.

If you don't have the means to readily sharpen knives, or afraid the blade might go dull in the field, this seems to be a great option. Don't have one yet but will likely be in my pack by time I head out to hunt
I Just checked them out online. These things look more suited to the model airplane and origami hobbyists then actual bush work. I certainly wouldn't want to dress a deer or hog with such a flimsy blade. I guess they could be good for making feather sticks. They look light enough to enough to chuck in a bag and not regret the extra weight though.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Every knife should be as sharp as you can make it. A dull knife is a dangerous knife because you will use more pressure while cutting and the knife can slip and you can hurt yourself.
You don't have to break the bank on a folder. Buck makes some very nice knives and they are reasonably priced. I have an older buck folder and I'd be damned if you can break it during normal use. It's all steel, brass, and bone scales.
Buck Folding ErgoHunter you can pick one up for $60. great knife

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
What is illegal is the interpretation of the law by law enforcement and judicial system. Both of which are either incompetent, corrupt or both.
While true, it'll still cost you $50K+ to make that point in court.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Its for hunting right, not for backing up the Guardian Angels in some alley ? springs break and could get pretty "gooie" what with running from brisket to teets or penis let alone cutting a circle around the anus. Plus I have yet to encounter a dead deer that was so anxious to be "dressed" that I need a switchblade or stiletto. that said, I am very satisfied with my Outdoor Edge "Swingblade." I got mine with a blaze orange handle as I often put a knife down while turning a deer to drain the body cavity or pulling the anus through.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Every knife should be as sharp as possible. Nothing more frustrating than trying to cut something with a dull knife.
IMO- keep the blade length between 3-4". I "began" hunting with a long blade (11" O.A) & ditched it soon after I realized that the handle kept poking into my side every time I sat down or tried to moved in my seat. A long blade is not ideal for skinning or gutting.
I always carry more than one knife for hunting.. a 3" gerber folder w/ pocket clip & a fixed blade on the waist (I used a small piece of orange tape around the handle to avoid losing it in the woods.)

Here are a few ideas: Buck Vanguard, Buck omni hunter, Becker BK 16 or 17, Helle, Bark River knives.

Folders for hunting should be durable, solid lock-up, have a good belly & holds a very good edge.

Get a good blade, as it will last you a lifetime and you might have to depend on it in an emergency.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.