Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
I really want to lift my wrangler and put bigger tires but with these gas prices I just can't justify it..  the lift wont kill your mpg as much as the tires will

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:
I really want to lift my wrangler and put bigger tires but with these gas prices I just can't justify it.. the lift wont kill your mpg as much as the tires will
Wheel width and weight are big factors in MPG. Tall narrow tires will be better than wide tires. I recently swapped the 30's off my Wrangler onto my Cherokee. No recorded loss in MPG but the brakes require more effort to stop. I'm going to replace the steel rims with alloy and hope that 10+ pound reduction will reduce that effect.

·
Sharp Shooter!
446 Posts
A customer at my shop has a 04 2500 w/ leveling kit and 33x12.50's. It ride ok, I don't know how it rides compared to stock. But most of the time leveling kits maintain ride quality and lift kits soften it up. Softer longer springs allow for more wheel travel.

I have installed half a dozen lift kits and unless you off-road very often a leveled truck w/ a good set of A/T's will do just fine. Effective and inexpensive.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I own a 04 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, which is the same truck as yours. What i did was cranked up the torison bars up front and added a 1.5" lifting block at the rear. I'm running 285/75/16 tires with no problems. i lost about 3-4 mpg with the tire change.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
krash610 said:
I own a 04 GMC Sierra 2500 Diesel, which is the same truck as yours. What i did was cranked up the torison bars up front and added a 1.5" lifting block at the rear. I'm running 285/75/16 tires with no problems. i lost about 3-4 mpg with the tire change.
How is the ride? Did you change out shocks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.