Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday my girlfriend decided she wanted to surprise me a week early for my birthday. She called a few gun stores looking for a Marlin 795 to get for me. I wanted another Appleseed gun with Iron sights. As usual she got the run around from a few shops and then she called LI Outdoorsman in Rockville Centre. She was told to put a deposit on it over the phone so that they wouldn't sell it till she could get there at 5pm. It was already noon at this point. When she got home we took a ride over ( at this point she has now told me what she did). I was amazed that she did this but knew this was now going to be a problem. I had not decided if I wanted that gun or the new S&W 15-22. So when we got into the store we spoke to the gentleman that she had talked to on the phone (Ron). He was VERY pleasant but had no authority to give a refund. The Owner (DONNA) who was sitting a few feet away didn't even acknowledge us but gave Ron a stern no to a refund saying that we had already bought the gun as she had removed it from the computer and didn't show it or sell it all day. I kindly asked if I could use the entire deposit amount to purchase ammo or other stuff from the store. She said absolutely not it had to be a firearm. I asked how much the 15-22 would be and of course it was 50 dollars more than the MSRP! What a joke. So I kindly (not) said ring up the Marlin (that was also overpriced by a LOT ) since I am not going to let you steal her deposit. Donna told me that the gun was removed from the computer and was therefore sold already. She tried to play the game that she didn't show anyone else the gun because my girlfriend left a deposit but give me a break, I was willing to spend the money right there and then on something else.

I really wished my girlfriend had remembered the name of my favorite shop so this never would have happened.

The only positive note was that the salesperson Ron was very pleasant to deal with.

I can tell you one thing - I will NEVER step foot in that store again. The guns are WAY OVER PRICED, and the owner could care less about customer service.

I did conveniently leave a few LIF cards on the counter, and I was wearing my LIF sweatshirt while there.

Am I wrong to be upset? I would understand if the NICS check was done making it a used gun. But a deposit to hold it until she could come in? With no mention of it being non- refundable on the phone.

Disclaimer - I posted this due to a personal experience at this store. It has no connection to LIF or my status as a moderator on this site. I only wish to make the community of Long island Gun Owners aware of such situations to avoid anyone else making the same mistakes. This is my opinion and only my opinion.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
My .02?
If you had called and put a deposit on a new Whatever in .416 Rigby, of which the shop had one and were tough to get, then the shop has every right to hold you to it.
But a Marlin 795? C'mon. Dicks has a zillion in stock WITH a $25 rebate. I'm sure they didn't have anyone walk in and ask for one and thought, dang - I have one but I'm holding it for someone.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
PandM said:
My .02?
If you had called and put a deposit on a new Whatever in .416 Rigby, of which the shop had one and were tough to get, then the shop has every right to hold you to it.
But a Marlin 795? C'mon. Dicks has a zillion in stock WITH a $25 rebate. I'm sure they didn't have anyone walk in and ask for one and thought, dang - I have one but I'm holding it for someone.
This!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly!  It wasn't a special order, it wasn't a hard to get gun. and it was about 4 1/2 hours from the time of the deposit to the time we got there.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
My opinion:

Shop owner is fully aware how easy these rifles are to come by and how common they are. She saw this opportunity to make a buck.

On the other hand, you're a lucky luck man to have a gf that wants to surprise you with a firearm! Be proud! 8)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about that but, as a customer the last resort I should have to think about is one that is not face to face.  I have put a hold (left a deposit) on many items before in many types of retail stores until I could get there and examine the item and have never had this outcome.  It is a good faith gesture to make sure you actually come in to the store to look so they don't hold it for you and you never show up.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vertiviper said:
My opinion:

Shop owner is fully aware how easy these rifles are to come by and how common they are. She saw this opportunity to make a buck.

On the other hand, you're a lucky luck man to have a gf that wants to surprise you with a firearm! Be proud! 8)
I am VERY proud! And the reason why it wasn't escalated to a higher level was because she was trying to do something nice for me and I was so happy that she did I didn't want her to be upset that she caused an issue.

I honestly can say that I will NEVER be convinced to go in there again, not even to browse with no intent to buy!

Reactions: Tohrtd3

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
The Architect said:
Since we're in such interesting topic this morning..

DISCLAIMER:
The thread and its replies are based on personal expierence and are not to be tied back to LIF. ;)
**Rosie Odonell was not harmed, or fed in the making of my post.**

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Architect said:
Since we're in such interesting topic this morning..

DISCLAIMER:
The thread and its replies are based on personal experience and are not to be tied back to LIF. ;)
Stevie - I added a disclaimer to the bottom of my original post. This was strictly a personal experience I had and wanted to share with the rest of our community. It is based on my direct experience as a private customer!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
That's ridiculous.  They should be reported to the Better Business Bureau or have a local news team expose this.  I would have canceled the charge with the credit card company and still reported them.  I got a 795 from Dicks for $83 including tax ($25 mail-in rebate and $20 off coupon for spending over $100).  Dick's is the place to go for the non-tactical firearms.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
I have gently suggested to my wife, that if she were ever interested in buying a gift for me from a gun shop, she get a credit from them. (haven't found a gun shop that sells gift cards with the exception of the big chain stores).

That way, no harm, no foul and I can purchase something small in increments (ammo, accessories) or something larger if the price is right.

Dov

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vintovka1891 said:
That's ridiculous. They should be reported to the Better Business Bureau or have a local news team expose this. I would have canceled the charge with the credit card company and still reported them. I got a 795 from Dicks for $83 including tax ($25 mail-in rebate and $20 off coupon for spending over $100). Dick's is the place to go for the non-tactical firearms.
That's less than the 1/2 cost deposit she left! That's how much of a Ripoff it was!

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
Lad62der said:
That's less than the 1/2 cost deposit she left! That's how much of a Ripoff it was!
:jawdrop

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Have know this store since they first opened 10+ years ago. They have always been overpriced and very pushy with sales. The woman Donna is always telling you she can get whatever you might be inquiring about. And they keep pushing you saying they'll get it for you. But everything is way over msrp as stated.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.