·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second man this year kills himself at Delray Shooting Center with rented gun

By JULIUS WHIGHAM II

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, November 06, 2009

DELRAY BEACH - A 64-year-old Delray Beach man took his own life today after renting a handgun at the Delray Shooting Center, Delray Beach Police said.

It was the second time this year a man rented a gun at the shooting center and killed himself, and the third time since 2002. The owner could not be reached by phone and an employee reached at the center declined to comment.

Previously: Man kills himself at Delray Shooting Center, leaves detailed suicide note

Shortly before 4 p.m., police responded to the Delray Shooting Center at 1505 Poinsettia Drive where officers found the man with a self-inflicted gun shot wound to his head, according to a Delray Beach police report. The man was taken to Delray Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities were withholding his name pending notification to his family.

According to the release, the man rented the handgun and bought ammunition and targets. He entered a shooting stall and shot at his targets for approximately half an hour. He then turned the gun on himself.

In June, 41-year-old Danny Kenney of Laval, Quebec took his own life after firing a bullet into his head.

In January 2002, 19-year-old Diego Fernando Urbano of Coral Springs rented space at the range, fired two bullets into an Osama bin Laden target and then shot himself in the head.

Story

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I'm not sure how "Renting a Gun" works. Why is it to "Buy" a gun you need a background check? Do they also do one when you "Rent" one? Especially if it's a pistol. Here you wait about 6 months, but you can walk in and rent one on the spot.
:derr:idunno:lookup:shrug

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
Well maybe if they'd stop putting the stories all over the news, maybe it would stop.

Range suicides are not a new thing, but the the frequency of them has rocketed off the chart. I can't help but blame the media as well as the internet for spreading this and giving people ideas that they never would have thought of on their own. Go back to jumping off buildings already and leave us alone! ;)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
When I went to LA a few years back, the range we visited would not rent guns to anyone unless they were 3 or more in a party, due to that problem of one person suicide, (which had happen the previous year there) and they didn't want to take a chance on 2 people who would do a murder-suicide. There insurance carrier made them go to a 3 person group due to the  extreme unlikely ness of that happening.  But you could bring your own guns to the range. Go figure.:derr

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
VietVet said:
I'm not sure how "Renting a Gun" works. Why is it to "Buy" a gun you need a background check? Do they also do one when you "Rent" one? Especially if it's a pistol. Here you wait about 6 months, but you can walk in and rent one on the spot.
:derr:idunno:lookup:shrug
Jefe, at least in Suffolk you need a pistol license to rent a handgun. You can have your pistol license without ever owning a gun. Ussually after shooting a couple of rentals the move to buy one of your own is not too far behind. ;D ... and from there is all down hill 8)

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
The multi party thing isn't always the answer, as shown earlier this year by the woman who shot her son, then herself.  A lot of places won't rent you a gun unless you already have one of your own with you.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I went to a range in PA and rented some handguns. The guys there were the best ever, laid back, and was willing to talk to me and educate me all about guns. They werent the typical gun store guys, but anyway, my mood changed when they told me that they had a guy commit suicide there just recently.

In my mind I was wondering if his spirit would be haunting the range :-/

·
Tactical Shrubbery!!
3,802 Posts
I used to go to PA allot when I was younger to go skiing with friends and we would always stop at the range and rent guns.

I also lived in AZ for 3 years and went to the range all of the time to rent guns.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Moving.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Weird, but I guess it's an effective suicide method. I think the weirdest thing is the people who shot targets for a while, and then killed themselves, what's with that? They got frustrated that they were a bad shot, and killed themselves? They figured they may as well do some shooting before dying? Practice to make sure they didn't fail to kill themselves? It makes no sense, but then, neither does committing suicide. I wonder if anyone ever rented a gun to kill themselves, decided to try shooting the target a bit, and found they enjoyed it so much that they decided to keep living.

I rented a couple handguns in PA a few years ago, my dad and I went and I shot a few rifles and a Beretta 92 and Desert Eagle .44, we had a range instructor with us the whole time who was very nice and careful to make sure everyone was safe and that he did his job well. Unfortunately, at the same range a year or two ago, one of the instructors was setting up the guns and somehow shot himself in the stomach with an Uzi and died. When I was there they were always checking the guns to ensure that the chambers were clear, but they put them back on the wall racks with the mags in them, so I guess at some point one gun ended up with a round in the chamber that way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
DanHS said:
Weird, but I guess it's an effective suicide method. I think the weirdest thing is the people who shot targets for a while, and then killed themselves, what's with that? They got frustrated that they were a bad shot, and killed themselves? They figured they may as well do some shooting before dying? Practice to make sure they didn't fail to kill themselves? It makes no sense, but then, neither does committing suicide. I wonder if anyone ever rented a gun to kill themselves, decided to try shooting the target a bit, and found they enjoyed it so much that they decided to keep living.

I rented a couple handguns in PA a few years ago, my dad and I went and I shot a few rifles and a Beretta 92 and Desert Eagle .44, we had a range instructor with us the whole time who was very nice and careful to make sure everyone was safe and that he did his job well. Unfortunately, at the same range a year or two ago, one of the instructors was setting up the guns and somehow shot himself in the stomach with an Uzi and died. When I was there they were always checking the guns to ensure that the chambers were clear, but they put them back on the wall racks with the mags in them, so I guess at some point one gun ended up with a round in the chamber that way.
It does make sense. Given the fact that these people most likely new thy were going to kill themselves they were probably in a trance like state. Actions ha no
meaning or baring at tat point. Could have been a dream like state before they did the act. We can never know the pain someone must feel for them to take their lives. It's an off thing in nature. Animals have been known to do it as well on rare occasions. E.g. Chimpanzees after losing a baby.

It's very pyschological. Glitch in nature so to speak. Think of it this way. We are designed with basic instinctual guidance: fire's hot it will burn me, stomach
grumbling I need food, body worn down need rest, horny- proceate.

There is nothing instinctual that says to kill ourselves. With that said something - a situation, event, experience must over power all those basic survival instincts and cause a massive shift in dynamics for to kill themselves. We really could never understand.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Just thinking, maybe it was not suicide at all, there was no Note. Maybe it was just stupidity. He shot for a half hour and , for argument sake, lets say a round did not go off properly, so he violates rule #1, he looks down the barrel and the stuck round heats off. Anything is possible.

Although not probable, but possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.