1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Feel sorry for cop and for person hit, but as mentioned accident NO...

Best safety is the one between your shoulders.

·
Lousy Shot
16,248 Posts
Violating just one of the 4 rules is an accident. We've all done it at one time or another. Nothing terrible will happen.

Violating 2 of the 4 rules is negligence and something terrible can happen.

Expecting the Daily News to get it right is fantasy.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
This is the only post I'll make here. Then I hope the mods have enough sense to delete this thread.

I was there in the group when he got shot. The RO was behind shooter. Wasn't shot in thigh as they say, a little worse. Wasn't necessarily negligence on the shooter. We aren't talking about this because any attention to this would only lead to negative attention for the range, all ranges on LI, all shooters on LI, and the LE who is already going through his own turmoil through his dept. And be thankful that many at the range were trained EMT'S, and that many present had trauma kits in their range bags. If not, we could've been talking about a deadly shooting, and not an accidental shooting.
This is the one time I support deleting a thread for the greater good. And I pray I never again have to see a friend with a bullet hole(s) in his body, bleeding out.
Mods, please delete this thread.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Like Postal... I didn't want to say anything either... but want to say Kudos to the guys who provided 1st aid right away. Myself and another gentleman from the front of the range ran down there to assist (we have medical training) but by the time we got there, you guys had already tended to the patient and pretty much did what we would have done. So good job fellas for tending to him so fast.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
This is the only post I'll make here. Then I hope the mods have enough sense to delete this thread.

I was there in the group when he got shot. The RO was behind shooter. Wasn't shot in thigh as they say, a little worse. Wasn't necessarily negligence on the shooter. We aren't talking about this because any attention to this would only lead to negative attention for the range, all ranges on LI, all shooters on LI, and the LE who is already going through his own turmoil through his dept. And be thankful that many at the range were trained EMT'S, and that many present had trauma kits in their range bags. If not, we could've been talking about a deadly shooting, and not an accidental shooting.
This is the one time I support deleting a thread for the greater good. And I pray I never again have to see a friend with a bullet hole(s) in his body, bleeding out.
Mods, please delete this thread.
I am curious, how could an RO standing behind a shooter get shot without negligence on the part of the shooter?

I see no reason to delete the thread. We shouldn't put our heads in the sand and pretend that negligent discharges never happen. We should use such incidents to remind us to be obsessively diligent when it comes to gun safety.

I am glad your friend survived and I appreciate your pointing out that EMTs were there to treat him immediately. Sounds like they saved a life.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
The people who where there have kept quite out of respect for those involved. And in the best interest of the range and every shooter on Long Island.

Along those lines, it is in everyones interest to close this thread down.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm glad that there was no loss of life and that first responders were on hand with equipment and training to give immediate attention.

Yes, let's not learn from mistakes, let's shut this down and cover it up. I guess the vow of silence on threat of not being allowed to shoot there anymore didn't work out so well.... It never does. Gunshot injuries must be reported, the media gets hold of police reports, and in any event there will be a police investigation of the incident due to the participants. At the very least, someone will sue, and covering things up and concealing the facts usually ends badly for all concerned.

This was either a defective firearm, or something else. In either case there are lessons to be learned for the shooting community. Lessons about safety protocols. Why we do things in a certain way - to prevent accidents, and in the event that an accident does occur, how to minimize damage and prevent physical injury. And if a physical injury does occur, what steps to take, and what equipment and knowledge to have. These are all good reminders, in the face of an unfortunate incident.

Names and blames are not important. But the facts are, and lessons therefrom. We cannot afford to become complacent in this sport, and our rights also have responsibilties.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
I am curious, how could an RO standing behind a shooter get shot without negligence on the part of the shooter?

I see no reason to delete the thread. We shouldn't put our heads in the sand and pretend that negligent discharges never happen. We should use such incidents to remind us to be obsessively diligent when it comes to gun safety.

I am glad your friend survived and I appreciate your pointing out that EMTs were there to treat him immediately. Sounds like they saved a life.
It was an accident, the names are already published in the news for everyone to see. I can see that a few are asking for it to be deleted. It is embarrassing , luckily it wasn't a fatality.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]"An off-duty NYPD officer accidentally shot a gun range official in the leg during a competition in Long Island on Sunday afternoon, police sources said."[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]So this off duty officer can go to a shooting range on Long Island for competition, but I technically cannot go target shooting there with my NYC residence permit.[/background]

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Yes lets play ignorant and shut it down....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
So he was holstering or upholstering, and the trigger caught on the holster ??

Why should it be deleted? Let's learn from the mistake.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
Another vote for deleting this thread. If the new forum owners are pro NY gun they will oblige.
They're away hunting moose.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts