Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question! Anyone know what the "official" rule is on carrying ammunition in a vehicle from NY to Pennsylvania? We are in the midst of moving from one state to another and I only have a NYC Shotgun and Rifle Permit currently as well as a non-resident PA license. Is there a maximum amount of ammunition allowed to have in the vehicle? Also, this move may take several weeks to complete. Can I visit a shooting range without a Resident License while still in transit. Any information would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
I don't think I've ever read anything about limitations on how much ammo you can bring from NY to PA. I know NJ has some issues with hollow point ammo. There is a NYC limit on how much ammo you can store in NYC (I think it's 250 rounds but not sure).

When you say visit a shooting range, where is the shooting range and what will you be shooting (long gun or pistol). I'm sure you know you cannot under any circumstances be in possession of a handgun in NYS. The same may apply in NJ.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I've ever read anything about limitations on how much ammo you can bring from NY to PA. I know NJ has some issues with hollow point ammo. There is a NYC limit on how much ammo you can store in NYC (I think it's 250 rounds but not sure).

When you say visit a shooting range, where is the shooting range and what will you be shooting (long gun or pistol). I'm sure you know you cannot under any circumstances be in possession of a handgun in NYS. The same may apply in NJ.
Copy that. I will be renting a few pistols down in a PA range when visiting in the next few weeks. And a no no in any circumstances am i driving with a handgun, just a few boxes of ammo ..

·
Registered
635 Posts
You should be good to go with an outside PA carry permit or PA LTCF, which allows one to have a loaded handgun in a vehicle. Without a non resident carry or PA LTCF, you would have to have the gun unloaded and secured.

Also, as far as ammo is concerned there are no restrictions, however, depending on which range you will be shooting at, some require you to purchase and shoot their ammo if you rent And most do not allow reloaded ammo, even shooting your personal firearms. It’s all about the liability.

Where are you planning to shoot? Which range?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Visit web on PA State Game Land shooting Ranges. If you do not have a current hunting license an annual range permit can be purchased on line. As far as posessing a firearm interstate look at 18 US Code 926A Interstate transportation of firearms . However I am not a lawyer nor can I interpret this satute. I travel from Long Island to Pike County ,PA frquently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts