Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently hold a target/hunting license. I want to apply for a business carry. I know about proving deposits and cash and all that. Here are my questions.

My business is nassau based however our office is in Suffolk. Does that make a difference?

What is the time line to upgrade my license? What I'm asking is, do I have to go through the entire 13 month process I went through to get my target license? Or is it a form and a couple of unnecessary months of "investigating" done by the PLB?

I plan on getting it going this week. Any insight would be appreciated

· Registered
12,359 Posts
My friend who has a business in Nassau with a Suffolk Sportsman license waited over a year for his Business license from Nassau. He was required to be finger printed which I mentioned is not required once you are licensed in New York for a pistol.

· Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
My friend who has a business in Nassau with a Suffolk Sportsman license waited over a year for his Business license from Nassau. He was required to be finger printed which I mentioned is not required once you are licensed in New York for a pistol.
Yup, way too many "requirements" added that aren't legal to add

Reactions: FULL METAL JACKET

· Registered
820 Posts
You should have no problem in Nassau County.
If you are in good standing with your license , you should be able to walk in with all the required documentation and walk out with the Business endorsement. The key is all the documentation. Make yourself a clear check list and follow it. You should be good to go.
Your license is good everywhere in NY except NYC. **** as long as it's business related. Ie. Unless your the bar owner, you don't need to be in the bar with your handgun.

· Registered
12,359 Posts
You should have no problem in Nassau County.
If you are in good standing with your license , you should be able to walk in with all the required documentation and walk out with the Business endorsement. The key is all the documentation. Make yourself a clear check list and follow it. You should be good to go.
Your license is good everywhere in NY except NYC. **** as long as it's business related. Ie. Unless your the bar owner, you don't need to be in the bar with your handgun.
Nassau County Police pistol license bureau called my friend to verify where his Business was. A busy diner and the investigator played dumb. My friend knowing many cops that frequent his place did absolutely nothing to help him with getting in and out like many said.

· Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going yo give a call tomorrow morning to check on the documentation I must provide. I just wanted to see what I was in for. I kind of figured the process would be long, painful and cost another $300 but who knows, I may walk out with the endorsement tomorrow (doubtful).

One thing I forgot to ask, what's the deal with my business being 24hr? Anything I should know about that?

· Registered
820 Posts
Nassau County Police pistol license bureau called my friend to verify where his Business was. A busy diner and the investigator played dumb. My friend knowing many cops that frequent his place did absolutely nothing to help him with getting in and out like many said.
They will verify that your business is legitimate. They have to.
The regular patrol cops used to help you get your endorsement through quickly. But if you remember a few months ago, some one that was "helped" get his license caused a huge problem for the PLB. Since then. Everyone goes through the same process

· Premium Member
3,775 Posts
The requirements are in the handbook.

· Registered
12,359 Posts
They will verify that your business is legitimate. They have to.
The regular patrol cops used to help you get your endorsement through quickly. But if you remember a few months ago, some one that was "helped" get his license caused a huge problem for the PLB. Since then. Everyone goes through the same process
It isn't the walk in with all the documents and walk out with a "Carry License".... It has changed a great deal. Cops who are retired from an outside agency have to wait .

· Registered
2,722 Posts
It is an amendment not a new permit so only $5. Still can take a few months because of the research. Requirements are on the website, Nassau or Suffolk. I would check with the County you currently have the permit in, more than likely that is where you will apply.

· Registered
12,359 Posts
I currently hold a target/hunting license. I want to apply for a business carry. I know about proving deposits and cash and all that. Here are my questions.

My business is nassau based however our office is in Suffolk. Does that make a difference?

What is the time line to upgrade my license? What I'm asking is, do I have to go through the entire 13 month process I went through to get my target license? Or is it a form and a couple of unnecessary months of "investigating" done by the PLB?

I plan on getting it going this week. Any insight would be appreciated
You will need to apply for both counties since you have an office in Suffolk County. The Business Carry in Suffolk requires proof of cash deposits and SCPD will send officers to check the business and ask to see a safe to store the pistol.

· Premium Member
1,320 Posts
It is an amendment not a new permit so only $5. Still can take a few months because of the research. Requirements are on the website, Nassau or Suffolk. I would check with the County you currently have the permit in, more than likely that is where you will apply.
Nassau it's $10.00, like any other amendment to your license

· Registered
3 Posts
I just received my business carry license and the process was not that bad, especially if you already have a target/hunting or other lesser license and you are simply "upgrading" your license to the business one.

If you are applying for a carry and starting from scratch, then the wait will be no longer than 6 months from your application submission. You will have to pay all the fees and go through the fingerprinting process. They will scrutinize you in more detail due to the added freedoms you gain from obtaining a business carry. The information you need is plainly listed in their forms.

If you already have a license from NC, the process is faster. It took me maybe 1-1/2 weeks from time of submission of my paperwork to obtaining my license in the mail. Perhaps each person's case may vary, depending on what type of business, if you are a roaming business (contractor, etc) or an establishment (storefront) and from what I understand, this greatly plays into the chances of them approving you.

PS: One thing that they requested that wasn't listed in their forms was the need for a letter from my bank stating that I in fact had an account with them and that I indeed made deposits on a weekly basis. They did not ask for the quantity, but earlier in the paperwork, you already told them your yearly sales from the tax paperwork, so I'm sure they can figure it out through that.

· Premium Member
3,874 Posts
If you already have a license from NC, the process is faster. It took me maybe 1-1/2 weeks from time of submission of my paperwork to obtaining my license in the mail.
Not to doubt you, but the only thing NC sends out within a week and a half are red light camera tickets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.