Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Ford F150 with a 4.2 V-6engine, She sounds good when it idles but when I accelerate I hear a tapping that has gotten progressively louder in the last couple days...While on the highway and I give it gas it taps loudly but when i take my foot off the gas, the tapping stops..and starts again when I accelerate. ..Oil is good...Dont want to break down but im at a loss...Any help with a diagnosis is greatly appreciated. ...

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tap is related to rpm, under load only, Used a couple tanks and also added lucas, dont think its the gas...

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oil looks good, I got the truck used but have been using Mobil 1 and run 5k between changes

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
Hard to say without hearing it. Could be valve train but that doesn't usually happen only under load. Could be ping or other lower noises

Reactions: NorthForkSportsman

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No codes, runs smooth, good exceleration, Maybe 6k on the plugs, Just this tapping sound when I accelerate. .with speed of engine..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.