Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so now that I have my first pistol, a .45.

What ammo do I use?

Are there any restrictions on what ammo I can shoot at a range?

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
pistol ammo is usually good to go. Indoor starts restricting the type of rifle ammo due to the backstop being used.

Reactions: trapshooterbob

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Most modern 1911's can shoot anything- wadcutters, ball, hollowpoint. Ranges are good with any of them.
Buy a variety, and see what runs smooth. Keep in mind you may need a few boxes run through to break her in, but the idea is to see what your gun likes.
Then, its get the cheapest ammo that shoots well, and some hollowpoints for home defense (I'm not a believer in magic bullets; any expanding bullet in .45 will achieve the desired effect on the bad guy if you hit the right spot).
Most shooters end up handloading or buying on price.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
pistol ammo is usually good to go. Indoor starts restricting the type of rifle ammo due to the backstop being used.
Not 100% true. Many ranges have restrictions on the use of metal heads. I believe freeport for example now has a magnet for the indoor range. If your ammo sticks, no go. Believe it causes sparks when it hits the backstop

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,977 Posts
230 ball like many said above. Past that, if you intend it for defensive use select your home defense round and get a few boxes of that to ensure function.
^^^^^^This^^^^

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.