Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a person I work with tried to buy ammo in CT I think fairly recently. He was told that he needed to provide some type of ammo purchasing license in order to buy. Anybody ever heard of this? I know last summer I bought a few 100 round packs of .22 at Walmart in Another state and nothing was mentioned.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Connecticut requires residency to purchase ammo. I think New Jersey does as well, at least for pistol ammo. We live in the Northeast, all Blue states. This is what we get.

·
Registered
11,487 Posts
You must show them a CT pistol or revolver license to purchase ammunition in that state. Massachusetts and New Jersey are similar. Other Free States like Pennsylvania will sell.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
In CT you need either a long gun eligibility certificate, a pistol permit or an ammunition certificate. The ammunition certificate costs $35 and requires filling out a form and a NICS check.

Can I still buy ammunition over the counter as I did in the past? What about reloading components?
No. Generally, if you are not considered eligible to purchase a firearm in Connecticut you will not be able to purchase ammunition. Effective October 1, 2013, all purchasers of ammunition must now have either a new "ammunition certificate", a long gun eligibility certificate, a pistol permit or an eligibility certificate. Ammunition is defined as a complete cartridge including case, projectile, primer and propellant, therefore reloading components may be still be purchased without being subject to the newly enacted restrictions.

How do I obtain the new ammunition certificate?
Any person 18 or older may request DESPP to perform a national criminal history records check to determine if such person is eligible to possess a firearm in Connecticut. You must appear in person to have your photograph taken and submit your initial application. DESPP will issue the certificate for a fee of $35 and after a successful records check. The ammunition certificate will be valid for five years (Download Ammunition Certificate Application).

·
Registered
195 Posts
CT is shall issue... You can apply for a non resident pistol license and carry concealed and purchase ammunition.
Non-residents must have a carry permit issued by a United States jurisdiction to apply.

Do you have a NYS carry permit?

If not, too bad.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Cheaper to buy on line and have shipped to ffl dealer. By the time you apply for ammo certificate with costs and tolls and gas what are you saving ? :popcorn

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hmmm?? So, putting aside 2A issues, how do all of these laws that block internet sells and make it impossible to purchase ammo not violate the interstate commerce clause--which the libtards used to shove their crazy reforms down our throats for decades??? I really hate them all!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Just go to Cabelas. You will probably spend all day in the store. Its like going to Sportsman heaven. Bring a friend. if you mention you are going, likely a couple will want to take the ride.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Cabelas in PA. CT store adheres to libtard law.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The one thing that makes me go to CT is their Mystic Aquarium. They also have a drive-in in the N/E corner of the state. Think there's a Bass Pro Shop in Stanford off I95 but won't go there for the same reason as above.

·
Registered
11,487 Posts
The one thing that makes me go to CT is their Mystic Aquarium. They also have a drive-in in the N/E corner of the state. Think there's a Bass Pro Shop in Stanford off I95 but won't go there for the same reason as above.
If you have a NYS carry license, you can apply for a CT non resident pistol/revolver license through the mail.
Very easy to get.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Get into reloading. You can still buy all the components to reload yin Conn. & NJ (I think). It gives you something to do when it's cold & rainy.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Non-residents must have a carry permit issued by a United States jurisdiction to apply.

Do you have a NYS carry permit?

If not, too bad.
A state or your own state?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts