Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a laser bore sight (laser pointer bullet) for my .30-06 I took it to the range, put the laser in the gun, and closed the bolt. I aimed at the target, looked through the scope, and couldn't see the laser. I took the laser out, and pointed it manually at the target, and looked through binoculars. Couldn't see the laser. It's not bright enough to use during the day, and Calverton is closed when it is dark. Anyone know how I can make this little bore sight useful? They seem to sell well on Amazon with favorable reviews. Thanks

funny PS: I contacted the seller, and he said to "point it at a street sign on my block at night from the distance I want to sight it in for. Street signs are reflective, and will help me sight it in." I responded with "I think it's rather stupid to point a bolt action .30-06 at a street sign in public, even if it is at 2am on my own street. I don't need my neighbors to shoot me."

·
former ak builder
2,574 Posts
you need a green laser. typical red laser will only work indoors

·
Banned
0 Posts
You can do a bore sight in your house. Put the laser in, turn it on, pick an object a few feet away and just adjust the up/down and left/right. Most lasers even including green aren't really meant to be used during the day, especially at 50-100+ yards out. From a tactical point of view lasers are mostly used as a fear factor more them accuracy and usually used for CQC.

·
Banned
594 Posts
It well put you on paper. One of the guys I know had his hunting rifle laser bore sighted by Hunter Sports, he was under the impression it was zeroed in and missed a buck. A bolt action can be done without a bore sight. Pull the bolt out and place the rifle in a steady rest at look thru the barrel at an object about 7 yards away adjust the scope. Laser bore sights work best indoors. You can try out doors in your yard at night.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Instead of the laser try the rock or piece of wood method. Place a piece of wood in the sand on the berm next your target. Shoot at the wood, it will be very easy to see where the point of impact is, make the corrections and this should get you on paper in just a few shots.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You do need a relective "target" to see the laser from more than a few feet away. Relective streetsigns actually are very helpful. I've got one right across the street from my window, and that's what I use when I boresight.
I always wonder if traffic notices the funny red dot...
DanG

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zyka said:
It well put you on paper. One of the guys I know had his hunting rifle laser bore sighted by Hunter Sports, he was under the impression it was zeroed in and missed a buck. A bolt action can be done without a bore sight. Pull the bolt out and place the rifle in a steady rest at look thru the barrel at an object about 7 yards away adjust the scope. Laser bore sights work best indoors. You can try out doors in your yard at night.
I've yet to learn the zeroing in part. I may need help with that next time I plan a range trip. (Sometime after XMas)

·
Banned
594 Posts
StarshipVoyager said:
I've yet to learn the zeroing in part. I may need help with that next time I plan a range trip. (Sometime after XMas)
If you have a steady rest,Take 3 or 5 shots focus on the same location with your scope and move the crosshairs to the group of shots. You can fine tune that way.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I tried a friends laser bore sighter at Calverton. I felt it was a waste of time for the same reasons.
Could not see the laserat all. I have found the easiest way to sight in being just a few rounds.
I did mount a scope and shot at 100 yards at Calverton ad was hitting above the target on the burm and had to drop it WAY down. New Scope needed adjusting.

set up sand bags or something steady to mount (bipod etc) so your point of aim remains constant
Fire one round with your cross hairs in the center of the target and look for your point of impact (shoot N see targets work well for this)
piont of impact

now WITHOUT moving the rifle adjust the scopes windage and elevation to meet your POINT OF IMPACT

Then move the rilfe so your point of aim is center of the target
When you discharge the next round it should be fairly close if not spot on

·
I'm begging to be banned!
1,135 Posts
I site in many many rifle scopes and NEVER use a bore sighting tool but rather Peremediks method explained above.  It works well with quality rings and bases (Talley Manufacturing one piece).  To also elaborate on this method make sure your scope is in the mechanical center, you dont necessarily have to count individual clicks but rather revolutions.  

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Use laser goggles. You can use a laser target, or a "crosshair" of reflective tape. Make a circle with the laser until you pick it up on one axis of the tape and follow it to center.

I'm not crazy about cheap laser boresights either.I bought one and it dod not seem to agree with where the gun shot- so I chucked it into my lathe (whichIi know runs pretty true) removed the tailstock, flipped the switch and the laser drew a nice circle on the wall that I would estimate as, I dunno, maybe 10MOA. Divide by two and that tells me it's 5MOA off. No adsjustrment.

Road sign? Well, I guess that's better than driving to JFK and pointing it at one of those guys with reflective vests on the runway, but hangoing out on the street with an M4 pointed at the corner stop sign at dusk might draw some unwanted attention.....

I have noticed that killing road signs upstate seems to be SOP though, I did not realize before that these guys must have been merely sighting in... :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
perimedik said:
I tried a friends laser bore sighter at Calverton. I felt it was a waste of time for the same reasons.
Could not see the laserat all. I have found the easiest way to sight in being just a few rounds.
I did mount a scope and shot at 100 yards at Calverton ad was hitting above the target on the burm and had to drop it WAY down. New Scope needed adjusting.

set up sand bags or something steady to mount (bipod etc) so your point of aim remains constant
Fire one round with your cross hairs in the center of the target and look for your point of impact (shoot N see targets work well for this)
piont of impact

now WITHOUT moving the rifle adjust the scopes windage and elevation to meet your POINT OF IMPACT

Then move the rilfe so your point of aim is center of the target
When you discharge the next round it should be fairly close if not spot on
Thanks. I'll try that next time I go to the range.

Captain Will said:
......I have noticed that killing road signs upstate seems to be SOP though, I did not realize before that these guys must have been merely sighting in... :)
LOL You learn something new everyday. Now I know where the customer support guy must live.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.