Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible that there are different quality propane fills? I used to use the Blue Rhino cans from Lowes but I found someone who refills in Bellmore and my grill gets much hotter with the refills than the same tanks from Lowes.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Is it possible that there are different quality propane fills? I used to use the Blue Rhino cans from Lowes but I found someone who refills in Bellmore and my grill gets much hotter with the refills than the same tanks from Lowes.
Absolutely yes. You do not get a "propane" fill. You get LP, which stands for liquid petroleum. That contains a lot of butane (a "waste" gas) in addition to propane, among other things. The BTU content per gallon can vary significantly, as can the optimal air/gas ratio, though I'm not sure if you would notice the difference on a grill.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely yes. You do not get a "propane" fill. You get LP, which stands for liquid petroleum. That contains a lot of butane (a "waste" gas) in addition to propane, among other things. The BTU content per gallon can vary significantly, as can the optimal air/gas ratio, though I'm not sure if you would notice the difference on a grill.
I figured it was something like that. My grill is running about 100-150 degrees hotter with all 4 burners at max than it did with the same tank from Lowes.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know that on the larger propane tanks, an accumulation of water vapor can sometimes be an issue. The larger propane shop will normally carry ethanol or other solvent to clean up a tank with water issues...not sure if it applies to the smaller tanks to the point of that it would affect the quality of the flame...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Not to jack, but what do you guys do with expired propane tanks? They are in great condition but too old to fill due to the stamped date.

The new one I got last year at BJs had the valve stuck on and I broke the handle trying to get it off. Nice quality.

My 15 year old ones work fine but no one will fill them.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Not to jack, but what do you guys do with expired propane tanks? They are in great condition but too old to fill due to the stamped date.

The new one I got last year at BJs had the valve stuck on and I broke the handle trying to get it off. Nice quality.

20lb target tank...in a place far, far away.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts

Bring to lowes or Home Depot and swap them for a new tank.

·
Tallest Midget
3,304 Posts

I use mine to sure anhydrous ammonia for my clandestine lab.

·
Listen up,I don't dial 911.
3,586 Posts

Get creative, cut it in half and make a small Hibachi, or a small patio fire place. Put a shraider valve on it and store compressed air to fill tires and such.

Take upstate hang from tree at 100 yards and use for target practice. Leave it hang for 5 years so it looks like you really live there.

Fill it with cement and use for a boat mooring.

Just keep in your car because sooner or later you will find someone that will fill it for you.

Cut the top off paint flowers on it and grow tomatoes in it. and the list goes on...................

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Not sure- I do know that commercially available Propane is a mixture of gases, and that Natural Gas is a mixture of DIFFERENT gases requiring a different burner orifice size. It seems to me unlikely that you'd get "better" or "worse" propane fills as I'm sure some standard applies, unless the unlikely event you got LNG, which I'm uncertain even uses the same valve/fitting?

I can tell you how "Blue Rhino" became successful though- back in the days when everybody exchanged tanks instead of refilling, they developed a valve that only they could refill, then swapped their BS proprietary tank fro the ones people had been refilling locally for years, forcing people to go back to a "Blue Rhino" provider until they'd gobbled up enough market share to make money by becoming an effective monopoly.

For that reason alone, I will never use any Blue Rhino tank, I will drive to Campsite and have my tanks filled. Dislike Blue Rhino. Like Campsite.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Get creative, cut it in half and make a small Hibachi, or a small patio fire place. Put a shraider valve on it and store compressed air to fill tires and such.

Take upstate hang from tree at 100 yards and use for target practice. Leave it hang for 5 years so it looks like you really live there.

Fill it with cement and use for a boat mooring.

Just keep in your car because sooner or latter you will find someone that will fill it for you.

Cut the top off paint flowers on it and grow tomatoes in it. and the list goes on...................
I cut and flattened out sections to repair the frame on a friend's Alfa Romeo where the jacking points had rotted out (he came by on a Sunday and no steel places were open and my plate stash was depleted). That metal is TOUGH! It took two of us working it over with a 25lb sledge to flatten it, broke quite a sweat. I don't know what variety of steel it is, but it is almost unbelievably hard. Even heating it to about 1200 degrees didn't help much. So if you need to make lockplates or something, that there is good stuff. And I would not have any reservations about putting 150psi of compressed air into it after that experience, at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.