Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading that process servers are allowed to come to your house at any hour of the day. Are their any legal hours that a process server is allowed to come to your home? If you tell them to get of your property and they come back would that be considered tresspassing?

·
Banned
3,887 Posts
Would you rather them go to your place of employment ?

Reactions: Tonto

·
Banned
3,887 Posts
Someone works long days you have to stop by at nite . Someone works nights stop by during the day . If someone is avoiding you anything is fair game .

·
LIF Official Supporter
2,384 Posts
They will just drop it on your door and leave. Had that happen at my house. Wasn't for anyone that lived here. Went to court and explained process server didn't properly do his job. Poor schmuck it was for never knew he had a court date and LOST by default because he wasn't there

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
No trespassing means no trespassing.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,976 Posts
Reactions: boosti

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Process server can knock on your door. Show up at your place of business. All to personally serve you. Can't force way inside to the living space.
Hiding from them won't work as there are several alternatives, primarily "nail and mail". They affix a copy of the document to your door, and mail another copy of it to you. You're served.

·
SpeakSoftlyNY
1,846 Posts
Process server can knock on your door. Show up at your place of business. All to personally serve you. Can't force way inside to the living space.
Hiding from them won't work as there are several alternatives, primarily "nail and mail". They affix a copy of the document to your door, and mail another copy of it to you. You're served.
Saw a person who acted in a manner suggesting process server activity show up at my neighbors, used his phone to record himself coming up the walk, knock on the door and place a manila envelope into the door handle step backwards away from the porch and stopped filming as soon as the neighbor opened the door and reached for the envelope. I don't know the legalities but it added a new twist.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
The process server must make three attempts to serve on different dates. Certified mail must also be made.
Taping the court document to the door and receipt of the certified mail could result in a default judgement if the defendant doesn't show. I had a default judgement against non payment of rent and the sheriff deputy responded to the residence and posted notices in 72 hours by court order the occupant's must vacate.
Definitely don't miss the court date or have it adjourned for another court date.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Take whatever it is, trying to dodge a process server just makes everyone's life more difficult.
Sure he can stake out your house and tail you to 7-11, but why make him, he's just doing his job and you'll have to face your legal problems sooner or later anyway- sooner is usually better. Even if you're getting evicted, it'll be that much easier having one less thing to fret over.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,976 Posts
Take whatever it is, trying to dodge a process server just makes everyone's life more difficult.
Sure he can stake out your house and tail you to 7-11, but why make him, he's just doing his job and you'll have to face your legal problems sooner or later anyway- sooner is usually better. Even if you're getting evicted, it'll be that much easier having one less thing to fret over.
Last time I had one looking for me I TOLD him when I would be home. Butthat showed up NOT at those times and griped to my Son who said "He told you when he'd be here, WTF is wrong with you? If he didn't want this delivered, the BEST thing that would happen for your sake is you'd miss him"

Reactions: grifhunter
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.