Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Procedure for Setting CB Antennas
Once a CB antenna has been installed, the next step is to check and, if necessary, adjust the standing wave ratio (SWR). This procedure requires nothing more than your installed radio, antenna, and a SWR meter. The ultimate goal of this process is to end up with a SWR of less than 2:1 on all channels. We suggest setting the SWR on both channels 1 and 40.

Turn CB off and disconnect the antenna coax cable from the back of it.
Connect the end of you antenna coax to the SWR meter where it indicates "antenna"
Connect the short coax cable coming from the transmitter position on the SWR meter to the back of the CB.
Close the hood and doors on your vehicle.
Turn on the CB.
Set the CB to Channel 1.
Set the SWR meter to the FWD position.
Key microphone and turn knob until the SWR meter indicates the "set" position. Un-key microphone.
Flip SWR meter to the Reflect position.
Key microphone and look at the reading on the SWR meter. The lower the reading, the better. If the meter shows in red DO NOT operate CB. Re-check your connections.
Turn CB to channel 40. Follow instructions 7-10 again.
Adjusting your antenna (matching the 40 channel bandwidth).
If the reading on channel 1 is higher than the reading on channel 40, you need to lengthen your antenna. Alternately, if the reading on 40 is higher, your antenna is too long.
For example, if your reading is 1.3 on channel 1 and 2.1 on channel 40 you need to trim down the tip, turn adjusting ring, or pull out wire a small amount, cut it, and tuck it back against the coil.
If your reading is 2.7 on channel 1 and 1.5 on channel 40 your antenna is too short. the only solution is to add a spring, raise the antenna, or reposition it.
If any adjustments are needed, they should be made in small increments. Re-check after each adjustment. Be sure to have all components on the antenna when testing, including the tip if there is one.
Re-connect the antenna after adjustment.

Reactions: K Williams

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Any body want to sell there swr meter or help me set up a few CB's later this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darn..I might still have one, .if it wasn't eaten by Sandy. I will look in my garage later

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
OMG That brings back memories. It was 35 years ago that I did that last.
Yep.. I had a big stick up on my roof and it was toasted by lightening less than a month later.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Any body want to sell there swr meter or help me set up a few CB's later this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know if you have got it worked out yet but I can help you set the rig up. PM me if you still need help, I've already helped one member already.

·
Unappreciated while still alive
3,841 Posts
I don't know if you have got it worked out yet but I can help you set the rig up. PM me if you still need help, I've already helped one member already.
I would be the member he helped. DILLIGAS was extremely helpful.

So, I was asking for radio checks and getting nothing. A guy from my sword class noticed I had a CB and we tried connecting but he couldn't hear me. Turned out that I had my mic gain turned down all the way. Once i turned it up, we were able to talk.
I may need to try another radio check with the architect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.