Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm going out shopping for a new pistol. I have a 1911, now I'm looking for something a bit cheaper to shoot. Was thinking a p228 but I just don't know if I want a 9mm. I'd love to have a .357 mag but then you get back into expensive rounds. I'm just looking for some ideas from guys that own the guns, a moderately priced caliber that isn't just for the range, that would have stopping power should the need arise. I know this will piss people off but not interested in a glock, my dad had them when growing up and I just was never into them. Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought a Beretta 92 FS to solve that exact problem - except I already own a G19 and G35. Wanted something metal and "classic", and that I could tailor with aftermarket parts. Now I am looking at a CZ 75, or maybe even a S&W Shield since I don't have any "small" 9mm pistols. Also looking at the Walther PPS. The 9mm is a great relatively inexpensive round that is powerful and fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
Is it the polymer guns you want to stay away from or just the Glocks? If it's polymer, then that eliminates most of the modern Walthers, S&W M&Ps, Glocks, HKs, Springfields, FNs, etc.

If you want a metal pistol, I believe the general consensus is that CZ, Sig and Beretta might be the best choices to start your search. If you like the P228 (M11-A1), you might like the P226 MK25 (or other variant) better since it's a full-frame pistol and not a compact like the P228/P229. All offered in 9mm (and many in .40 too), but 9mm ammo is cheap and plentiful and I'm sure good hollow points will solve most concerns re: caliber (the endless debate). I find that .40 S&W ammo is not much cheaper than .45 ACP.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Moderately priced pistol? Or Moderately priced ammo?

If you decide to go with 9mm, you absolutely can't go wrong with the Beretta 92FS. I recently got one in the Brigadier Inox. Love it....

If you're looking to keep the cost of the pistol down too, you can get the Beretta knock off, the Taurus PT92. I've got one of those too. It was my first. Love it....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really just want to stay away from polymer, don't like the way it feels. I think I'll go with the sig. Thanks for the input

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.