Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Most of us shoot semi the majority of the time. It's an easy mistake to make...once...if you don't adjust your usual grip.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
Grabbed the S&W model 10 wrong during one of the IDPA matches... got my thumb right up in there.

Good thing they were very light loads!!!! it felt like getting whacked with a hot hammer!

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,768 Posts
Mythbusters did this a while back too. Hickocks demo was perfect but the mythbusters have the magic of slow motion.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
When I learned to use a circular saw, the guy who showed me pointed to the saw guard- it was an old Crasftman that said "1-1/4 horsepower" on it.
He said to me "Is there ANY horse that you want to eff with?", paused for effect "RESPECT this saw!"

When I learned to shoot, the guy who showed me broke open the cylinder and pointed to the etch on the top strap. "You see that?" he asked. "This gun is made of STEEL. What's your hand made of?"
Lessons learned.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I remember one of the matches I shot, there was a guy with a 357 snubbie.
One stage you had to fire in a small opening with cardboard on both sides.
The blasts from the cylinder gap was destroying and burning the cardboard on every shot.

After seeing that, I've been very careful with my grip while shooting revolvers.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Good info, thanks. I have been looking at revolvers a bit and am glad to have this info now before I shoot one.

·
AMF YOYO
3,602 Posts
Always a good idea to go through a full cycle of load/unload and dry firing at half speed before you go live on an unfamiliar gun.

A Winchester Model 1897 taught me that. If you ask me, I'll show you the scar.

Reactions: O1SalsaX

·
Lousy Shot
16,248 Posts
Mythbusters did a bit on this too.
Yeah, I don't remember exactly what the "myth" was but they created a simulated hand using chicken wings as fingers. Then they tied it around the gun as if you were grasping it by the cylinder. Blew the $#!+ out of it.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
I dunno. The muzzle blast out of the barrel is what is mostly destroying the paper. I know there's always a need to warn the lowest common denominator. I have to see someone injure themselves by doing what he's describing. And I've seen some dumb shooters.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
I used to shoot revolvers next to dozens of people shooting only revolvers - all at the same time. I never saw anyone get burned by their revolver, much less someone effected by one next to them, but they were mostly .38's.....

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Watch some of the videos showing the S&W 500 firing. They shred carrots in one of them simulating fingers. Watching that really made me notice where my hands where while shooting the X frame guns I own.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts