Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it damage the pump/seals of a gasoline powered pressure washer if you use a hot, hot water spigot ?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I have an older Honda engine/Northstar pump model, and the manual specifically states not to do it. Maybe check manufacturer's website? I've seen crews that do it for a livng full time use hot water, mostly for spigot location convenience. By the time they are done, the water is pretty cold, the water heater can't keep up with their volume.

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
If the pressure pump is rated for hot water use, you are good to go. Google "Hot Water Pressure Washers"

Generally, those are going to be commercial models, not homeowner models or anything you are likely to find at a big box store. And they will use a built-in heater or heat exchanger to produce their own hot water instead of relying on an outside supply.

The machines we used for hard surface maintenance & restoration would run up to 12 GPM depending on the pressure and nozzles we were running. No water heater I know of is going to keep up with that for any length of time.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
I suspect it's your pressure hose that would end up being the weak link, as the seals in a gas pressure washer are probably inorganics like delrin, nylon, teflon, butyl, hytrel etc. But hoses get soft- even the low pressure side will probably swell and burst on you if you aren't connecting it with washing machine supply line. I never NEEDED hot water in a pressure washer, simple green or a bleach solution applied first always seems to work for me- depending on what I'm trying to remove. And there's the issue of whether the heat will affect what you are spraying. Hot water on vinyl siding for example might be a mistake- unless you like the crinkle-cut look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.