Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is optics any recommendations I just picked up a pair that has foam , a nice adjustable strap and holds steady to your face. There great but fog up in 30 seconds. I tried anti fog stuff which is no help. I need some suggestion on where to pick up a pair of prescription shooting glasses that won't fog up. What do you guys that need prescription glasses use?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
My Shooting glasses are "Sunbuster" - while I don't need prescription lenses (yet) They did come with an order form for prescription inserts... I really like these things, comfortable, came with 6 changeable lenses, case, lanyard, cleaner...

and it's a LOCAL company, right here in Farmingdale!

See - http://www.sunbuster.info/shooter.html

In the pic you can see the Rx lens insert.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
I have not tried prescription shooting glasses yet.
Not that I have not tried to find someone who carries a line.
I have read good things about Revision Eyeware, but have yet to actually see them.
http://www.revisioneyewear.com/
I can't come up with a local dealer and as without glasses I'm essentially blind, buying over the Internet is too bold a step I'm not ready to do.
Smith also has a similar set up, but again - haven't seen them in real world. Smith also has a "military & public service" price list which is nicely discounted. Ask for it.
I have popped into a couple of local eyeglass places and they all seem to have the google type more suited to sports use.
If anyone out there runs across a local eyeglass store than specializes in our sport, I'd love to hear about them.

·
Lousy Shot
16,248 Posts
As one who is bespectacled, I just use the free ear plugs and safety classes from work that fit over my prescription glasses. I think I can get credit from my HR dept. for prescription safety glasses; I just haven't bothered yet.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
What are your needs?? When shooting indoors, my pupils can't focus down on the pistola sights. I found that inexpensive "reading" glasses solve that problem. for my needs, I use a 1.5 or 1.75 power, and still I can see both, the sights and the target clearly. Then, I simply ordered polycarbonate industrial safety glasses with the readers as a bifocal. Under $10.00.

If your needs and mine aren't the same, please disregard.

Also, there are better and worse sights, as well as other options for folks my age who have a similar problem. Maybe we should start a seperate thread on the subject.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pete thats what I have the polycarbonate but with the foam on the frame (holds tight to face) they fog up. Even the anti fog stuff does not work plus one burns my eyes. I thought having the sport type glasses were a good Idea. They don't move around fit comfortable would be great to move around during shooting drills training. But they will go back to the store.

Sparkz I checked out safe vision interesting site looks good they have the guaranteed anti for lens $75 extra. I started to tally up lens anti glare then anti fog then frames started to get close to $300 yes I have to see clearly but I could buy another gun for that I was hoping to keep the price down if I can. I will only use them for range shooting. Plus as mentioned to spend that and not see them in person is what bothers me. If I can't find them locally they may be my only option.

Parashooter I have seen a few sites with the inserts. I just don't know how good they are. It seems like more glass to look threw , more to keep clean and fog which turns me off.

One thing I just learned with the wrap around style lens makes my vision seem a little weird at times. I feel like I'm looking out of a fish bowl. So beware of that when looking for safety glasses. The more curved the lens can be a problem that some might be comfortable with.

Prescription oakleys I'm sure there nice but knowing the price of there sunglasses I would be afraid to see the price of there Prescription Glasses. For myself every pair of sun glasses or prescription seem to get lost or broken fall in water so thats why I stay away from high priced glasses if possible. Then again next year My prescription might change.

As PM mentioned its nice to find a store locally that you can try them on but most either have silly looking thin metal frames or the ones with the side plastic protectors from 100 years ago.
I know my self I need something with some style , strong , Anti fog, prescription , so I may just to have to either spend a fortune or buy them on line and take a chance.

Its new to me the Glasses thing as I now have distant glasses that I very rarely use for driving they are good but to use for shooting drills would flop around. I do need safty glasses for shooting only.

So the search continues just when I though I finished getting everything needed for my new hobby I find I was wrong! ??)

My needs are distant glasses reading glasses are good to see sites but when I look past that every things a blur. The distance glasses I see the site and target good.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
I found the link to Smith Elite.
I hope it's useful.

https://elite.smithoptics.com/

If anyone wants the discounted price list, PM me with an email and I'll get it to you.

Also have Bushnell Miliary and Public Servive list, which IMHO, has good pricing.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
these look good PM from your suggested site will contact them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts