Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we only have a major storm every now and again, we don't get enough real time practice. (thankfully for that)

Anyway, is there anything you missed, or could have done better?

My list:
Forgot to charge the batteries to my cordless tools
Could have secured the driveway gate better
Not sure if 32 gallons of fuel would be enough to sustain a generator for a week
Transfer switch.......still not installed

That's all I see that I could have done a better job at.
List your faults so others may learn a thing or two from it.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
I should have ordered the tri fuel carburetor adapter for my generator long ago.
I should have had the transfer switch I installed inspected by a licensed electrician.
I should have bought or built an all weather security box for my generator for permanent outside placement.

I should have done all of the above and more for the generator at my mother's house.
I should have checked out her fuel supply and fuel storage system.
The hookup my father created is on the scary/dangerous side.

I should have stocked up on the Jameson's. (kidding)

·
Little. Yellow. Different. Better.
1,716 Posts
Need a generator.
Need CR123s for some of my lights
Need a second solar radio
Need a chainsaw

I'm sure there is more I could have done better at other things but that's all I can think of now.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I invited the inlaws to stay at my house.

In all seriousness,more gas for the generator and rebalancing of the breakers so that I can turn on and off what I want a little easier to keep the two legs on the genny loaded more evenly. They also need to be labeled better since a drunk must have wired my house because random outlets in random rooms are on the same breaker.

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Should've gotten that generator after Irene.
More oil lamps/lanterns.
More big fat candles.

On the upside, I have plenty of Crown Royal and ice. Not such a bad storm after all.

·
Get'er dun
2,079 Posts
Was at home depot on Sunday night. Should have bought 3 generators when I was there. They were bringing them out on pallets. Stacked 4 high.

·
dislike Cuomo!
4,995 Posts
I live in an apartment that has an electric stove.so purchased a small gas stove that I wanted for use on camping trips anyway and as a necessary survival item. Unfortunately, I got that on saturday before the storm and there was no propane left (the small camp grill ones)!!! Fortunately, we didnt lose power or that would have been lame.

Could have purchased more food, but didnt because we really have no space for a bunch of extra food we wouldnt eat if we got our power back quickly or didnt lose it at all.

Hopefully the wife and I will have our first house by this time next year, or if things go really well before the first big snow storm. I would say this is the biggest problem I have. As much of our lack of prep ends up stemming from the fact that we have so little space. Once I have a garage, a generator and two 12 packs of beer wont take up half a freaking room!

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Not having a second generator so I can loan one to the relative that doesn't listen when I tell them to get prepared for the next event and still have one if sometime after the main event my power goes out.

Reactions: Djcubinlinx

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I live in an apartment that has an electric stove.so purchased a small gas stove that I wanted for use on camping trips anyway and as a necessary survival item. Unfortunately, I got that on saturday before the storm and there was no propane left (the small camp grill ones)!!! Fortunately, we didnt lose power or that would have been lame.

Could have purchased more food, but didnt because we really have no space for a bunch of extra food we wouldnt eat if we got our power back quickly or didnt lose it at all.

Hopefully the wife and I will have our first house by this time next year, or if things go really well before the first big snow storm. I would say this is the biggest problem I have. As much of our lack of prep ends up stemming from the fact that we have so little space. Once I have a garage, a generator and two 12 packs of beer wont take up half a freaking room!
We have been cooking on the butane burners that they use when they have an omelet station at a buffet. The cans last for 2 hours on high and 4 hours on low and they are safe for indoors. The burners cost about $30 and the cans are only a few bucks. We bought two burners and 24 cans before Irene and did not lose power then. They work great. Had bacon and pancakes for breakfast this morning.

·
Grand Poobah
21,170 Posts
Didn't pack the freezer with ice completely soon enough.
Didn't charge power tools
Not enough candles ( thankfully enough flash lights and batteries.
Didn't get a CB radio
FIOS down after 8 hours and for the cell phone I need a booster. And the booster doesn't work without power.
Didn't get the generator after Irene because I want a system with the transfer switch etc and am doing too much other stuff on the house.I will buy a portable one when the dust ( water?) settles. That was my biggest mistake.

Should have taken Night & Day up on the ice for the cooler and put all the drinks in there.
As Ten Inch Frying Pan said, plastic knives & forks paper towels etc.
Get a new battery operated radio.

I'm making a list so I remedy my mistakes.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
One other thing I forgot to do before the storm was to prep the cord for my generator so that I could plug it into my dryer plug and backfeed the house. I never changed the plug on a long heavy duty sj cord to have the L14-30 plug end and had to change out the l6-30 in the dark using a flashlight.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts