Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
these things are coming out of hibernation no matter what. We may as well learn something about them before they bring us down to our knees since no one has any immunity to a virus that has been dormant for 30 millennia.

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
these things are coming out of hibernation no matter what. We may as well learn something about them before they bring us down to our knees since no one has any immunity to a virus that has been dormant for 30 millennia.
Of course after 30,000 years they're coming out of hibernation.
They even said the magic fund me words of climate change as a reason.

· Banned
19,459 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily true that no one has any immunity, I believe it's relatively certain that SOME people would have immunity, and even more likely that an unknown, random virus would not even be able to infect humans. Remember viruses infect other animals, plants, and even bacteria but not humans. I am a little bit concerned in light of the fact that if it has that much genetic material, how mutable it might be but that is probably a completely unfounded concern from a scientific perspective and just borne of my own ignorance as far as virology.

· Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
I was not thinking climate change. I was thinking more along the lines of exploratory drilling. But either way, they are coming out and that's that. There so many viruses that are here now and we know nothing about them, so why panic.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
"Climate Change" or "Bush's Fault"

Take your pic these days.

· Registered
15,344 Posts
I'll bet this is what killed off all the prehistoric giraffes.

· Registered
2,222 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily true that no one has any immunity, I believe it's relatively certain that SOME people would have immunity, and even more likely that an unknown, random virus would not even be able to infect humans. Remember viruses infect other animals, plants, and even bacteria but not humans. I am a little bit concerned in light of the fact that if it has that much genetic material, how mutable it might be but that is probably a completely unfounded concern from a scientific perspective and just borne of my own ignorance as far as virology.
Pretty much. A virus needs to mutate IN humans for it to stay ahead of our immune system. When a virus has been separated from a population, it loses the ability to infect it.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
Pretty much. A virus needs to mutate IN humans for it to stay ahead of our immune system. When a virus has been separated from a population, it loses the ability to infect it.
Or, current organisms evolved in an environment w/o this virus and thus have no natural immunity.

· Premium Member
11,465 Posts
I'll bet this is what killed off all the prehistoric giraffes.
As long as it attack their face then we are all good if not it just the virus the killed everything else. Not to worry.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
The French are in charge of this?
Who can we call to napalm the labs?
A couple of years ago I read a zombie outbreak story that included the French actually having created a vaccination against the plague.

But they refused to give or sell it to the U.S.!

First to their own people (somewhat understandable), then the rest of Europe, then wussies and China, then to the "poorer" countries of the world. The U.S. was near the bottom of the list to get it.

· Registered
15,344 Posts
The French are in charge of this?
Who can we call to napalm the labs?
I'm hoping they will bring back Giraffe Liver Pate. I'm running low.

· Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,528 Posts
What could go wrong??

Hey Pierre...Hold my wine glass...

· Premium Member
1,114 Posts
We can only hope.
A virus that wipes out 80% or so of the worlds population can only help at this point.
Kind of like hitting crtl+alt+del on what we consider the problems of our society right now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.