Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to build my first (and second) AR. One will be an HD rifle so I'm looking to keep it light.

Is there a preferred complete upper recommended here? Most of what I have found online have flash suppressors which I love but are not compliant for these builds.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Do you plan on doing a "featureless" AR or a fixed-mag AR?

Are you looking for a 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 barrel? Barrel length? Do you prefer a free float and/or railed hand guard or traditional plastic hand guards? What is your budget?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Featureless with a thorsen stock.

1:7 twist but only because that is what my colt has. I'm open to suggestion if 1:8 or 1:9 is better.

I would prefer a free float but to be honest I don't know if it makes a difference for my intended usage. I want a short barrel (16"?) and would prefer railed.

As far as budget I'm looking to stay on the cheap side but not sacrifice quality or reliability. $3-$4 hundred? Not sure what they cost

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
$400 won't even buy you a quality complete upper; minus BCG. $400 for a range toy is okay, but I wouldn't trust that for HD. Expect to pay around $500 for just the upper and an Additional $150 for bolt group and charging handle. And that is for basic, non railed hand guard, an/or forged barrel.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

^^this is what I would rely on at minimum. Bravo Company produces quality stuff.

·
Registered
26,146 Posts
Do research and shop around. You will be able to choose a barrel, gas block, hand guards, upper receiver and BCG that you like and works for your budget. There will be many sales tomorrow.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
Get a featureless upper from DSI.

Regular crowned barrel, I'd recommend a light rail, their keymod typhoon is great. Nice clean look, good price point, no messy welding, just pick it up and slap it on the lower.

Super light, and this is one of my "show up on my property at 3am" rigs. I have no problem gripping the spur, either. Feels great.

DSIupper4_800.jpg

DSIUpperOperator_800.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
I looked at this but not going to be able to get there until Saturday.

The lowers I ordered are from PSA but I didn't see any no flash hider uppers.
Most places online won't have crowned barrel regular profile barrels (edit: ready to ship). You can find bull barrel uppers ready to go on Midway etc.

You can get a built to order upper from a place such as JSE Surplus but there will be some turnaround time. Even then threaded barrels are more available. PSA btw is notorious for slow order times so be patient.

Here is a stainless steel non-threaded crowned barrel A2 upper from JSE Surplus built to order (pictured above the DSI typhoon upper). Turn-around was less than 14 days IIRC.
DSIupper2_800.jpg

The reason DSI is so popular is they specialize in the AR platform AND NY compliance. No other store or manufacturer really offers that. They have all the AR goodies for NY compliance including their own uppers and fixed mag lowers and other parts--that's their thing. You'll be hard pressed to find something like a ready-to-go lightweight crowned barrel upper that is NY compliant online. The buy a bargain upper and lop off the bay lug (but then you have to blue the cut) and weld a comp (can run 50 bucks, pin and weld quality can differ, more weight) is do-able but more added steps and hassle unless you can DIY in your workshop.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts