Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got rid of my broken snowblower and figured now would be a good time to pick up a brand new one.

Thinking of getting this one from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Poulan-PR...-207063077-_-N

anyone have any experience with this brand? If you have other recommendations, please let me know. I would like to stay around this price range.

Also, does anyone know of any local snowblower stores? The Poulan website does not list any of their dealers just certified repair shops.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
Here's an excellent thread from the last storm on snowblowers with *lots* of feedback on what brands to get etc.

http://www.longislan...hl__snowblowers

I own a small Poulan one stage and a bigger 3 stage cub. The poulan is a cheapo brand I use for the deck, paths,etc. but still starts up years later with no winterizing and old gas. My cub cadet is my main toy for the big driveway and I highly recommend cubs.

Incidentally I got both online, delivered to my garage. One from Home Depot, the cub from snowblowersdirect.com Both took minutes to assemble and function great out of the box.

Tire Snow Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Here's an excellent thread from the last storm on snowblowers with *lots* of feedback on what brands to get etc.

http://www.longislan...hl__snowblowers

I own a small Poulan one stage and a bigger 3 stage cub. The poulan is a cheapo brand I use for the deck, paths,etc. but still starts up years later with no winterizing and old gas. My cub cadet is my main toy for the big driveway and I highly recommend cubs.

Incidentally I got both online, delivered to my garage. One from Home Depot, the cub from snowblowersdirect.com Both took minutes to assemble and function great out of the box.

View attachment 88769
Destro didn't you have a problem with the Cub Cadet, carb?

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
There alot of good info in that thread I have a 15 year old craftmen with a Tecumseh motor it a two stage beast. That being said it is useless with snow under 4 inchs the single stage blower blower is great for the majority of snow we have around here 12" and under but the two stage works great with snow 6" and up.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
the link isn't working for me - but if the poulan you're looking at has a Tecumseh engine - stay away. they're gone apparently so parts are tough (took me 2 years to find a carb for mine - STILL haven't found wheels)

Reactions: boosti

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
the link isn't working for me - but if the poulan you're looking at has a Tecumseh engine - stay away. they're gone apparently so parts are tough (took me 2 years to find a carb for mine - STILL haven't found wheels)
The John Deer dealer in river head got me parts for my Tecumseh.
Major League in setauket fixed my blower last year. Try them if you haven't found what you are looking for.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
Yeah, you really have to do your research, model by model. In looking for a garden tractor the new John Deer hydrostatic trannys are horrible, but not all--its a certain model. Same for some of the cubs. You really have to read up reviews these days.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not really. Turns out it was a fuel line that came loose when I stupidly quickly wheeled it out over an asphalt grade bump in front of one of the garage doors. Could happen to any machine. Once I id'd it, it was an instant fix and had it running for that storm. There are a lot more moving parts on a bigger snowblower like that but it runs like a champ.

Yeah, you really have to do your research, model by model. In looking for a garden tractor the new John Deer hydrostatic trannys are horrible, but not all--its a certain model. Same for some of the cubs. You really have to read up reviews these days.
I have 2 jd's with hydrostatic tranny's...one is 25 yo and still works perfect...2 new motors, but tranny is good....one is a 318, jd, other is x495, have nothing bad to say about hydrostatic. ... these tractors are worked hard, in the catskills ,, not flat long Island

1 - 8 of 8 Posts