Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I delivered my application the first week of March 2015 and was interviewed, fingerprinted and photographed the first week in October. The PO said it could take up to an additional 4 to 6 months and when my wife gets called I would know that they are close to wrapping everything up.

Typically how long does it take once your interviewed? I find it hard to believe it would take that long, it's probably the typical answer (hopefully).

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,436 Posts
I delivered my application the first week of March 2015 and was interviewed, fingerprinted and photographed the first week in October. The PO said it could take up to an additional 4 to 6 months and when my wife gets called I would know that they are close to wrapping everything up.

Typically how long does it take once your interviewed? I find it hard to believe it would take that long, it's probably the typical answer (hopefully).
There is no fixed answer. It can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months, before your wife gets the phone call but, as your IO said, at that point, it's only days or a few weeks, until issue.
Gary

·
Registered
447 Posts
I dropped my application off last Friday and fingerprinted and pictures were taken the same day. did you mean March 2016 or was it March 2015.. Either way that seems like a long time. And another 4 to 6 months would bring to about a year which I think some people have waited that long.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's unbelievable that the county would take 7 months just to get to the interview and then tell me another 4 to 6 months. That would make it over a year for the whole process. Wow... this is what I pay top hard earned tax dollars for. I apologize for my rant.

Just looking to see the members that just received their license (within 30 days) and when they were interviewed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
You should site yourself down at your library and study NYS Penal law - sections 265 and 400 particularly (there will be references to other sections in those too)

One thing that they constantly abuse - NYS Law requires a license be issued or denied within 6 months from PRESENTATION of application... there's no allowances for backlogs, or short-staffing, or even failure of the FBI/etc. to respond to inquiry.

It's amazing that they treat us like criminals, and waste all this time - PA has you in and out in 20 minutes, Utah processes a license in a matter of weeks.... Here, we're just being jerked around.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
It's unbelievable that the county would take 7 months just to get to the interview and then tell me another 4 to 6 months. That would make it over a year for the whole process. Wow... this is what I pay top hard earned tax dollars for. I apologize for my rant.

Just looking to see the members that just received their license (within 30 days) and when they were interviewed.

Thanks in advance.
What jurisdiction?

·
Registered
7,412 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
So I find myself in a similar wait and have a few thoughts to share. I dropped of my application mid May. Check was cashed days later. At the 5 month mark I called and was told I was assigned an IO and should be called soon to schedule an interview. Here we are now at almost 6 months and still nothing. My thought are that we now have a new commissioner at SCPD and do we really know his position on permits? Maybe we should test him and push this a bit. I am willing to help support a class action suite regarding the excessive waiting period. I believe we have enough people in the community who are now waiting or have waited more than 6 months. They tell us of the backlog, what if we can tap into those waiting and get support from even a percentage of them? I'm sure we can get logistical support from a few 2A groups here in NY and perhaps nationally. I'm not an attorney, nor do I know the letter of the law, so I would look for support there as well. If the suite has enough value, maybe an attorney would work pro bono? Seems to be a lot of knowledgeable folks here; is this possible? We come here and complain about the infringements, how about we take a stand locally.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would tend to think that pistol permit applications may take quite a while longer if you are in the 5 western towns of Suffolk rather than then 5 eastern towns due to the population difference in the towns hence more applications. Although I could be wrong because I have no way of knowing and it's just an assumption.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,436 Posts
The volume, of pistol license applications, has skyrocketed, in the last 2~3 years, in all of NYS, as well as most of the country. Yaphank is understaffed, as is Riverhead, while neither has the budget to add staff.

Gary

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was told similar.

I waited about 7 months for the interview and was told it would be 3-6 months after that for everything to be completed.

I waited this long, I can wait a bit longer - but I do wish it was all over.

·
Registered
124 Posts
BTW...

1. Application in early Feb
  2. A character ref moved and I called to ask what I should do (can I keep her, etc). I was told i was "just assigned to an IO" in June-ish (?)
  3. I received call, I was OK in regards to the reference and I could use her or obtain a new 1 (my choice) and he would be calling back to schedule within a few days
  4. Called back less than a week later, interview set for late September (which coincides with my busy time at work and personal.
  5. Interview went well. Officer seemed like a good guy. He told me it would be 3-6 more months. He said it'll likely be 5.
  6. 1 reference was getting married (same that moved) and I simply could not get a chance to go see her with the exception on her wedding day (not the right time) - just got her signature and mailed back forms.
  7. The waiting continues.

I'm anxious and would like this to be finalized. I believe with the recent election, a lot of people thought HRC was going to win and she's anti-2 so that likely caused an increase in apps.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So another long 45 days pass since I started this post and still nothing. I called a couple of weeks ago and left a voice mail for the IO and never received a call back. My premise for the call was to confirm she received a piece of missing information. The waiting is driving me nuts. Its just about 9 months and still patiently waiting. :wacko :wacko :wacko One can only do so much research on what to buy. Just keep saving $$ while I wait.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
The volume, of pistol license applications, has skyrocketed, in the last 2~3 years, in all of NYS, as well as most of the country. Yaphank is understaffed, as is Riverhead, while neither has the budget to add staff.

Gary
and NONE of that is an acceptable excuse for going past 6 months. State law is very clear on that

Reactions: Parashooter

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
I would tend to think that pistol permit applications may take quite a while longer if you are in the 5 western towns of Suffolk rather than then 5 eastern towns due to the population difference in the towns hence more applications. Although I could be wrong because I have no way of knowing and it's just an assumption.
So another long 45 days pass since I started this post and still nothing. I called a couple of weeks ago and left a voice mail for the IO and never received a call back. My premise for the call was to confirm she received a piece of missing information. The waiting is driving me nuts. Its just about 9 months and still patiently waiting. :wacko :wacko :wacko One can only do so much research on what to buy. Just keep saving $$ while I wait.
One of our members here is an attorney, who volunteered his time & effort to create a template for an Article 78... Which has worked to grease the wheels for a few here....

Remember STATE LAW says SIX MONTHS from date of "presentation of application" and SPECIFICALLY says short-staffing is not an acceptable excuse to delay processing an applicant's license.

Reactions: NRATC53

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
I got mine 6 or seven years ago it took six month to the day to get it. If I remember correctly I called to drop off my app and got interviewed the same day.

·
Registered
985 Posts
One of our members here is an attorney, who volunteered his time & effort to create a template for an Article 78... Which has worked to grease the wheels for a few here....

Remember STATE LAW says SIX MONTHS from date of "presentation of application" and SPECIFICALLY says short-staffing is not an acceptable excuse to delay processing an applicant's license.
One month ago I received my permit from SCPD. It was almost six months to the day from the date of my interview. I was puzzled as to why I was given a second application to have initialed by my references, signed by me and resubmitted to SCPD when I had my interview. While I am not a lawyer, I am betting that they are considering this the "official" application and counting their "presentation of application" six month requirement from the date of the interview. I certainly made no sense that I had to run around having my references initial a second application.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts