Long Island Shooters Forum banner
161 - 180 of 208 Posts
I don't think knives, hammers and crowbars have killed more than firearms have. Not even combined.
But what difference does this all make?

For those of you who are against background checks, are you OK with a convicted murderer/rapist/robber walking into a gun shop and purchasing a firearm?
Bare hands kill more than "assault weapons" yet we don't do anything to control them

If you're convicted, do your time, then yes. You're now a free man... A rehabilitated man.. If you're not, then you should still be in jail

Most comes from friends and family members of the Joe Hoody. Either stolen or straw purchased. Very few are obtained from gun shows, pawn shops, or private sales.
Good starting point. Let's hear some ideas on how we can stop straw purchases.

Prevention of stolen guns is easy enough to resolve, lock em in a safe. 1 good sized safe cost less then the total cost of your gun collection. Still don't believe there are that many stolen guns. If a gun is stolen out of your car? Well, there's no fix for stupidity, gun never should have been left in the car.

While I'm not for banning firearms, there is pretty strong argument that countries with strict gun bans have less gun violence per capita.
Maybe less gun violence but not per capita violent crime rates.

If we look at who commits the vast majority of gun crime in the US it's inner city gang related. I have a problem with penalizing the law abiding citizens with stricter gun laws. We are punishing the many for the actions of a few.

Crank up the penalties for violent crime if you want to make a dent in this problem.

As far as these mass shootings by wackos they represent a tiny tiny fraction of violent crime. The way we react to these mass shootings with legislation is intellectually dishonest.

Bloomberg and his astroturf organization Everyturd is still pushing the bogus claims that 90% of Americans, including the majority of gun owners, want background checks for all transfers of firearms. I thought it would be neat to see how many of us here think its a great idea.
So just to put things in perspective to the OP, I think at this point the poll speaks for itself at this current point. 77% to 22%. Against background checks.

Heavy penalties for offerders. No wrist slaps.

This would work with most crimes, yet we still let the animals free early to prey again
Amen to that! I'm surprised LEO's don't fight the courts vs hassling legal gun ownership. Many cop friends tell me how they catch scum with illegal guns, only to see them back on the streets in a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

When you know, you know... Plus, the rare instance this may happen is no reason to restrict others rights to try and prevent this tiny % of possible bad sales.

Bare hands kill more than "assault weapons" yet we don't do anything to control them

If you're convicted, do your time, then yes. You're now a free man... A rehabilitated man.. If you're not, then you should still be in jail
How do you rehabilitate mental illness if that's the cause of such behavior?
A criminal shot a cop last 4th of July in Brooklyn. He wound up with 2 years in prison. You believe that's paying your debt to society and you are now rehabilitated?

You mean like Mexico?
No. I mean developed countries comparable to the US like Japan, China, and Britain.
Ignoring obvious facts is the worst way to gain leverage for your argument.

I'm not saying strict gun control laws is why these countries have a lower gun violence rate.
But to say that strict gun control yields more gun violence holds no water.

Maybe less gun violence but not per capita violent crime rates.
Wait what? You just said that it has no effect on gun violence.

If we look at who commits the vast majority of gun crime in the US it's inner city gang related. I have a problem with penalizing the law abiding citizens with stricter gun laws. We are punishing the many for the actions of a few.
Doing a 10 second NICS check is not punishment.

If they got rid of gun laws all together, do you really believe that gun violence would decrease in our country?
How about in Brooklyn? Detroit? Chicago?

You guys talk about criminals getting guns so easy. It's not as easy as you think. Not as easy as walking into a gun shop and buying a pistol in 30 seconds. Not everyone knows an arms dealer.

No. I mean developed countries comparable to the US like Japan, China, and Britain.
Ignoring obvious facts is the worst way to gain leverage for your argument.

I'm not saying strict gun control laws is why these countries have a lower gun violence rate.
But to say that strict gun control yields more gun violence holds no water.
Ok. But what is their murder rate? And not the Piers Morgan version. On top of that you need to look at cultural differences.

When you know, you know... Plus, the rare instance this may happen is no reason to restrict others rights to try and prevent this tiny % of possible bad sales.
FMJ I meant that as a question. Is selling to a felon whether you knew or not, a crime for the seller as well as the buyer? I think it is, so wouldn't the NICS protect you even if it was a relative?

Ok. But what is their murder rate? And not the Piers Morgan version. On top of that you need to look at cultural differences.
That is exactly what the antigun people are trying to do. Like was done with smoking and drunk driving, they want to attach a stigma to gun ownership that is so bed, that it changes our culture to not accept it at all. The problem is they are crazy and relentless, and fear, emotion and outright lying are just tools they are not afraid to use. To them the end (eliminating all guns) justifies any means.

.22lr is lethal… and is lethal up to 1 mile which is why you can't use it in dense population areas for hunting i.e. Long Island.
That should say… "and can travel up to 1 mile" I was tired when I wrote that.

Here's a really naive question and legit one without leaning for or against BC. Where do all these illegal guns on the streets come from? I imagine some come from theft, but I think that's a small %. I'm perplexed that joe hoody can easily obtain an illegal gun easier than us law abiding citizens can obtain a permit to own a legal pistol. A NICS check won't stop illegal gun sales, will it slow it down? I don't know.

There are probably as many illegal guns on the streets as legally obtained ones. We as legal gun owners (should put our heads together and figure out a way to rid these ILLEGAL guns and publicly voice it. As we all know our dumb a$$ govt is incapable of devising any type of plan that won't take our legally owned guns away. To complain about how gun laws are BS will fall on deaf ears, countering with a proposal of a better law that will work is how we can fight back.
You will never stop straw purchasers from buying guns legally and selling them to those who cannot own them. No one can come up with a solution for it. It's already illegal. The concept that a straw purchaser will suddenly stop because you passed another law requiring him to do a background check on his illegal buyer is insane. He has already proven he is willing to break laws.

Discussion starter · #179 ·
That is straight from the anti's playbook. Remove all of the the countries with much higher crime rates.

Discussion starter · #180 ·
If they got rid of gun laws all together, do you really believe that gun violence would decrease in our country?
How about in Brooklyn? Detroit? Chicago?
2 of those cities have the strictest gun control in the country yet the highest crime rates. The other has had a total breakdown of policing.

161 - 180 of 208 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.