Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100309/NEWS/3090315

Police act swiftly after gun purchases

March 09, 2010
Anita Burke
By Anita Burke
Mail Tribune

Concerns about an Oregon Department of Transportation employee who purchased several guns after being placed on leave prompted law enforcement across Southern Oregon to step in.

Negotiators and a SWAT team from Medford police safely took a man - whose name wasn't released - into protective custody Monday morning in the 500 block of Effie Street, Medford police said in a news release.

He was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center for a mental-health evaluation.

The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job and was "very disgruntled," the news release said.

ODOT Communications Director Patrick Cooney said there were administrative, personnel matters involved that limited what the department could discuss.

However, the state agency had reported concerns about the man to law enforcement agencies, who started monitoring him, officials said.

"We had concerning information regarding a personnel issue and were watching the subject," Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said.

In two days, the man bought a Heckler & Koch .45-caliber universal self-loading handgun, a Walther .380-caliber handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle, Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said. All of those firearms were purchased legally, with required record checks by the Oregon State Police.

Authorities were "extremely concerned" that the man may have been planning to retaliate against his employers, the news release said.

"Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach," OSP Sgt. Jeff Proulx said.

Douglas and Jackson County sheriff's departments, OSP officers based in both counties and police in Medford and Roseburg collaborated, he said.

Medford police watched the man's home overnight, starting at about 9 p.m. Sunday, Hansen said.

Because he was known to have weapons, police wanted to defuse the situation and ensure the man wasn't a danger to himself or others before the neighborhood awakened and people started their daily activities, Hansen said.

Medford's hostage negotiators and SWAT team were called in at 3 a.m. Monday and arrived on the scene at about 5:45 a.m., he said.

About a dozen officers responded. They closed the street for about an hour and evacuated three homes to protect neighbors and prevent bystanders from gathering, he said.

After a phone conversation with negotiators, the man - who was alone in the home - agreed to come out, Hansen said.

Police seized the recently purchased firearms, as well as another .45-caliber Heckler & Koch handgun and a 12-gauge shotgun. Police are holding the weapons for safekeeping, but no criminal charges have been filed.

Reach reporter Anita Burke at 541-776-4485, or e-mail [email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
So they took a Citizen who did nothing wrong to the hospital for mental evaluation and seized his guns.  And we have a Constitution and laws why?  I would be filing a lawsuit today!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,497 Posts
There has got to be more to this, but I know one thing.

I do not know what the Police knew, and have a feeling they knew more than they were letting on.

Like this guy was at the range posting pictures of his boss and asking the gun shop owners how to get past metal detectors...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,497 Posts
Lad62der said:
So they took a Citizen who did nothing wrong to the hospital for mental evaluation and seized his guns. And we have a Constitution and laws why? I would be filing a lawsuit today!
"We had concerning information regarding a personnel issue and were watching the subject,"

Before I judge, I would like to know what "information" they had....could be something like this guy got put on leave for threatening to "Go buy an AK-47 and blow your brains all over the walls.", got suspended, and went and bought an AK-47....

As always, I will be curious to see all the relevant information drizzle out...

Sounds to me like he was suspended for threatening to shoot someone, then got ready to do it. I doubt it is procedure for the police to put a tail on every Dept of Trans. worker who gets suspended. Just my take on it. Big risk to LEO, doing it like this, I am sure they know something we don't.
 

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
Joined
·
11,589 Posts
Recoil said:
Medford's hostage negotiators and SWAT team were called in at 3 a.m. Monday and arrived on the scene at about 5:45 a.m., he said.
Interesting...called SWAT at 3am & they arrived 2 hours & 45 minutes later....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
"Disgruntled worker" has been used as a code phrase in the public sector many times for any employee who has complained or reported corruption or waste. Something to think about when reading the story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Tonto said:
Interesting...called SWAT at 3am & they arrived 2 hours & 45 minutes later....
We're talking about Oregon here...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
If the same person went and shot up someplace using the guns he just bought I am sure people here would be crying about how he makes gun owners look bad.

My point is that some people are never happy with what goes on. Some people are psycho's and some aren't. I am sure there is more to the story, maybe intel that he said he was going to go on a rampage, who knows.
 

·
Lousy Shot
Joined
·
16,249 Posts
There's more information excluded than there is included in that article. Anywhere from "He's the the victim of a government conspiracy to destroy a whistle-blower", to "He's a paranoid schizophrenic about to blow a gasket and air out the local DoT office with a few hundred rounds of 7.62x39 mm".

Hmm, ... let me see, ... which conclusion shall I jump to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,497 Posts
The guys get suspended. Who knows what for.

He mouths off on his way out the door.

His Supervisor is worried enough to call the Police.

The police are worried enough to follow the guy.

They guy buys guns while suspended from work. I am assuming he is not independently wealthy.

I will bet you real money this guy said something at work about shooting the place up. I could be wrong, but I do not think I am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Doc T said:
Like this guy was at the range posting pictures of his boss and asking the gun shop owners how to get past metal detectors...
If you have information that the avboe is the case, then fine. If you do not, then you should not be posting this and jumping to all kinds of unfounded conclusions.

If and when they let him out of jail, for doing nothing wrong, I hope he sues them. I would think the lawyers would be lining up for this one. Oregon is a class 3 state. I hope when he gets out he buys a machine gun.

Notice, all required NICS checks were done and passed, yet they took him into custody for his own protection. It seems to me, he was protecting himself just fine. ;) I hope the Judge who signed his arrest warrant, is also listed as a defendant. I'll bet the list will be long.

I hope that a follow up to this article is posted so that we may see how it progresses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,497 Posts
Sorry to have offended your sensibilities. i merely stated that the Police seem to have more info, not I. I did nothing more than postulate what Could have happened. You on the other hand seem positive that your outlook on this event is correct.

My jumping to conclusions is no different than your jumping to the conclusion that he did nothing. Its our opinions, and last time I checked, opinions were unregulated.

IF this guy DID threaten his co-workers with violence, then he deserves everything he gets.

If he did nothing and is a victim of a conspiracy to remove his guns from him, then sue away.

Please try to refrain from telling others what they should or should not post and stick to agreeing or disagreeing.

My opinions are no less valid than yours or any one else's. Please keep this in mind.
 

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
Joined
·
6,239 Posts
+1 for the good guys (and they are us)

Three sides to every story... yours... mine... and the truth. Betting there is more to this than we know about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Doc T said:
Sorry to have offended your sensibilities. i merely stated that the Police seem to have more info, not I. I did nothing more than postulate what Could have happened. You on the other hand seem positive that your outlook on this event is correct.

My jumping to conclusions is no different than your jumping to the conclusion that he did nothing. Its our opinions, and last time I checked, opinions were unregulated.

IF this guy DID threaten his co-workers with violence, then he deserves everything he gets.

If he did nothing and is a victim of a conspiracy to remove his guns from him, then sue away.

Please try to refrain from telling others what they should or should not post and stick to agreeing or disagreeing.

My opinions are no less valid than yours or any one else's. Please keep this in mind.
You did not post that, like is was your opinion, but that the above took place. If he did threaten his co-workers, then he would already have been charged with that. No one the Police nor his employer has said that he threatened anyone, except for you.

Please try to avoid posting your opinions, as if they were events that actually took place. All the while rail roading a guy, with no Police record nor history of mental illness whatsoever, who apprently has done nothing wrong, when you have no evidence to do so. Some people would call that slander. There are currently no charges filed against him.

The fact is, no arrest warrant was ever signed for him. He was released from the Hospital in under three hours after a complete Mental assesment by the Hospital and is now out and looking for a Lawyer. BTW, he does not have his guns back, yet.

The above are facts that I have stated, not opinions. If the Police have more information, then why was he not charged with something and was instead released expeditiously ? Another wild assumption, based on what, I don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,497 Posts
Doc T said:
There has got to be more to this, but I know one thing.

I do not know what the Police knew, and have a feeling they knew more than they were letting on.

Like this guy was at the range posting pictures of his boss and asking the gun shop owners how to get past metal detectors...
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but it was a postulation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Fine.

Let's try to give this guy, the same chance or benefit of the doubt that we would want, if we were in his shoes. He does seem to be in a very good position legally. His rights do seem to have taken a serious trampeling.

Here is a question for discussion. The twelve man SWAT team is outside your house, they have no arrest warrant for you, but are demanding that you come out and surrender yourself and your guns. Which he did both in this case.

Did he really have a choice here ? Prediction: The Police will say "he came out voluntarily, we did not arrest him".
What would have happened to him if he choose not to come out ? Would they have made entry ? What lawful right would they have had to make entry ? Barricaded subject.

Anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,497 Posts
Colt 700 said:
Fine.

Let's try to give this guy, the same chance or benefit of the doubt that we would want, if we were in his shoes. He does seem to be in a very good position legally. His rights do seem to have taken a serious trampeling.

Here is a question for discussion. The twelve man SWAT team is outside your house, they have no arrest warrant for you, but are demanding that you come out and surrender yourself and your guns. Which he did both in this case.

Did he really have a choice here ? Prediction: The Police will say "he came out voluntarily, we did not arrest him".
What would have happened to him if he choose not to come out ? Would they have made entry ? What lawful right would they have had to make entry ? Barricaded subject.

Anyone.
I am sure it would have been tear gas and battering ram time in Dodge.

Right or not right, you know when then man comes for you, either you go or they bring a world of hurt, right or wrong.(Which is a whole different thread unto itself).
 
1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top