Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose this will be a useless thread, so I'll apologize up front to anyone who disapproves of useless threads, and suggest you just scroll by this one.

While I wait for my license, I've been thinking of questions about the SCPD PLB investigation process. I don't need to know the answers, it's just my curiosity flaring up while I wait (and wait, and then wait some more...). I'm not really bein impatient, I just have nothing else to do with this but think about it.

I am wondering:
Does SCPD PLB starts investigating an applicant as soon as the paperwork (PPB-3), pictures, prints, and interview are done?
Is some preliminary investigation done even before the interview, based on just the questionnaire?
I'm trying not to be too logical about it, but what makes me wonder is that I waited ~13 months just to get an interview. Now I'm expecting to wait another 6 months for a license. I can't imagine it takes 6 solid months to investigate anyone? (Please, I'm not looking to start yet another discussion about the whole "questionnaire" vs. "application", or "having to act within 6 months" issues.)
So, I wonder if they "pick away" at investigating applicants, spreading it out for 6 months?
Or is it just another waiting list, and it takes, say ~5 months for the IO to get to an application, then a ~month to actually investigate?
I wonder if they typically processes denials faster than approvals? I suppose that largely depends on the answers to the above. Again, me trying to reason it out, I would thnk that if they did start investigating right away (+/-), then denials should process faster, right? As soon as they find a reason to deny, Investigation over, send out a denial letter.
I've read posts here and other places where people state they were denied, but it took the same amount of time as another applicant who got approved in the same general time period (i.e. currently ~6 months). Leads me to think investigations don't start right away.
Does NY State play any part in the timelines? I mean, I understand the license is issued by SCPD PLB, but it is a state license, so I wonder if there is some processing at the state level that takes up time?

Lastly, I want to say, when I had my interview, everyone at PLB was great. They were pleasant and professional. Everyone seemed to be busy working. I saw no sign of slackers at all. So myself, I believe it is not a personnel issue that makes it take so long (Well, maybe a LACK of personnel play into it, but not quality of the existing personnel.). (Again, not looking for political discussions about NYS policy and procedure.) I give PLB the benefit of the doubt, I guess things just sit better with me when I understand why they are the way they are, but I also consider that their procedures may be confidential.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would really like to know the answer as well. How is there background check so different that a regular nics check, a non resident permit or an atf ffl for c&r is not sufficient. We need Andy Rooney on this.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Someone with a lot more knowledge of the process might be able to provide more details but Suffolk County adds steps to the process that other states don't. Florida takes about 45 days to process an application. Some of the obvious differences are no reference requirements, no questions related to personal health, criminal and medical history of those in the household, there is no interview, etc. Florida recognizes your right to keep and bear arms while NY treats it as a state granted privilege.

I was a martial arts instructor for about 20 years. During that time I got to train and train with CCW holders, military and LE from all over the U.S. In our down time we would sometimes get into discussions regarding concealed carry and the licensing process in our home states. Many of them, including many police officers, were shocked when I began to describe the process of getting a pistol license in NY. I mean shock to the point of disbelief. So when you hear reports of out of town folks being arrest in NYC for a firearms violation don't be too quick to judge them harshly. They take it for granted that their license would be honored in NY and the Constitution's shall not be infringed really means something.

Apologize for the rant.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Here my rant- Sufffolk county licenses are only $10 every five years, Nassau county licenses are $200 application fee plus $200 renew fee every five years. $10 amendment fee, Suffolk $5 And approximately same wait time For license to be issued. Upstate $10 lifetime they just have to do a recertification on nys police website at no additional cost. Why can’t the entire state Recertify on the nys police website. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Because the the State chose defer to local jurisdictions to design the local licensing schemes and there is no State law pre emption clause. Resulting in inconsistency. Someone from upstate with a CCW can carry in Nassau and Nassau will only issue you a Hunting/Target with restrictions and the restrictions remain when you leave Nassau.

very frustrating and complex.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Here my rant- Sufffolk county licenses are only $10 every five years, Nassau county licenses are $200 application fee plus $200 renew fee every five years. $10 amendment fee, Suffolk $5 And approximately same wait time For license to be issued. Upstate $10 lifetime they just have to do a recertification on nys police website at no additional cost. Why can’t the entire state Recertify on the nys police website. :unsure:
NYC is $340. And there's a separate appl/ fee $140 for long guns. Cha ching

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,059 Posts
Here's the better question: are the other 40 states that issue handgun licenses NOT investigating their applicants? Because virtually all of them issue within 60 days.

The Answer: Yes, they investigate applicants for criminality, and mental health history. All of them. But do so quickly, with one or two page applications and no silly affidavits of good character

2nd Best Question: Does downstate NY's supposedly extensive 2 year investigation produce safer outcomes regarding gun violence?

The Answer: New York isn't even in the top 30 lowest states for gun violence. Gun Violence by State 2022

Conclusion: NY's gun licensing (investigation) scheme does nothing to make anyone safer and is strictly a mechanism to deny a civil right.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the better question: are the other 40 states that issue handgun licenses NOT investigating their applicants? Because virtually all of them issue within 60 days.

The Answer: Yes, they investigate applicants for criminality, and mental health history. All of them. But do so quickly, with one or two page applications and no silly affidavits of good character

2nd Best Question: Does downstate NY's supposedly extensive 2 year investigation produce safer outcomes regarding gun violence?

The Answer: New York isn't even in the top 30 lowest states for gun violence. Gun Violence by State 2022

Conclusion: NY's gun licensing (investigation) scheme does nothing to make anyone safer and is strictly a mechanism to deny a civil right.
I hear you, and agree.
However, while you bring up a different spin on the question(s), I wouldn't call it better. More principled? More ethical? More logical? Yep, all those.
My questions are more about real world. What actually happens. Not what many of us believe should happen. Agree or not.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,991 Posts
We tried to get NC people to the meeting where the Home Rule thing was discussed, but very few showed. There were more people from SAFE who lived in Suffolk there than there were NC folks. At one point we had Tom Gulotta ready to (quietly) start issuing Full Carry, until the County Attorney heard aboiut it and went apoplectic with all the scary things you hear used (but almost never happen)

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
We tried to get NC people to the meeting where the Home Rule thing was discussed, but very few showed. There were more people from SAFE who lived in Suffolk there than there were NC folks. At one point we had Tom Gulotta ready to (quietly) start issuing Full Carry, until the County Attorney heard aboiut it and went apoplectic with all the scary things you hear used (but almost never happen)
Just like the former Suffolk County Sheriff DeMarco who claimed to be Pro 2A said he couldn’t issue a Full Carry because of a law?
Tom Gulotta I am sure gave his friends a full carry.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I really don't understand the question
Basically the OP is asking why it takes 18 months to get a pistol.license in Suffolk County and only 2 months in other states. Do you have some knowledge regarding the various processes that might shed some light on why the different wait periods from state to state?

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,991 Posts
Just like the former Suffolk County Sheriff DeMarco who claimed to be Pro 2A said he couldn’t issue a Full Carry because of a law?
Tom Gulotta I am sure gave his friends a full carry.
You KNOW he did

Reactions: Striper

·
Registered
6 Posts
Think this is a HUGE part of the problem with Suffolks timeline. People who most likely will be denied probably "give it a shot" for $10. For $200, probably not. Wonder how many applications there are Nassau vs Suffolk.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I can think of a couple of reasons:
  • Requirement of four references from the county you live in.
  • Requirement for an interview
Most other states will run a background check and have you complete an application. I do not believe the fact that the fee is not a barrier to apply is a factor. Bottom line the process is cumbersome, no investment in technology, each jurisdiction has its own rules, and there is zero interest in allocating resources to allow people to exercise their constitutional right.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts