Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story. I'm new to the gun scene so I've been looking to purchase my first handgun and tried to do as much research as possible. So I visited LONG ISLAND SHOOTING CENTER in ISLIP, a total of 3 times, first visit he (receding bald guy with glasses, think his name is mike) did go through his gun selection but I was still unsure and didn't know what to go with so kept researching then visited other shops.  Second time I looked at couple and was still unsure.  then I decide on what I wanted so got my po from scpd stopped off by him and he said the shop wasnt open, it was 11:00am on Monday, he said come back but he can order what I wanted because he didn't have it. Then he says $60 more for credit card use Im like ok.  I said do you match othr shops or help out on price, at least reduce you're $60 surcharge, he said no, I asked why and he said because i dont have to, i politley said ok thanks and left with my wife  So on top of there gun being $40 more plus another 60. I buy it elsewhere to save $100. So I go back today for the range with like 5 people to buy ammo and use the range and he says everyone can shoot except for me, he told me to go and shoot where I bought the gun.  I'm unsure of the professionalism or is he unsure of what sales is about and customer service.  I can't just throw money away. What are your guys take on is, and I'm sure he's a member on here so if you are please feel free to respond because I'm uncertain of whAt I did wrong but try and get the best deal and educate myself. Am I obligated to buy from him to be able to use the range ?  Feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I don't know LISC but he sounds like a major jerk and certainly hasn't the least idea of how to cultivate you for your next (or next 10) purchases. There are ways to make people lifelong customers and it usually isn't by taking the short view. As with everything, vote with your money. Find a shop that treats you with respect and nurtures your experience and they'll be rewarded with your business.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
99slvr35th said:
I can't just throw money away. What are your guys take on is, and I'm sure he's a member on here so if you are please feel free to respond because I'm uncertain of whAt I did wrong but try and get the best deal and educate myself. Am I obligated to buy from him to be able to use the range ? Feedback would be appreciated.
First and foremost thank you for signing up and posting your experience with this local store. Its sad (but not surprised) to hear yet another negative story about this location. To the best of my knowledge, Mike (and all the LISC staff for that matter) are not members on this forum.

Please do not let this discourage you from shooting.

Additionally, your 100% correct. It is your hard earned money. Astronomical credit card processing fees are unacceptable and are considered 'scams' in my opinion.

Look past this challenge and enjoy the sport. There's may other shops and ranges for you and your family to enjoy.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I shot there last December, the place could be spiffed up a bit. No lights in the bathroom, no towels, not hot water. Froze my tushie off no heat at all again just spiff the place up. Oh and any idiot who sights in his hunting rifle at the 20 feet railroad tie points, I'll bet none of these guys can hit anything at 50 yards.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,073 Posts
What amazes me is that these shops think that news of these customer disses arn't going to get around, and that other gun purchasers (or range shooters) won't be turned off permanently.
Memo to LISC: I buy guns, ammo and range time. I doubt you will see any of my money again.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Fuck 'em.

If they don't want business, don't give them business.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I almost bought a shotgun from LISC once. Put a deposit on it. Found out I could get the same gun for way less anywhere else, and also heard about their bad customer service. Actually I didn't like the vibe I got when I went in there in the first place. Went back and told them I had changed my mind, I was actually surprised that they did in fact give me my deposit back. But they definitely do not make anyone feel welcome and with stories like this popping up ALL the time, I have no intention of going back, ever.

Nice business model there, LISC!

I also have no interest in using their crappy range so they don't have to bother telling me to shoot somewhere else.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The shorter of the two with the wild stash did the same to me. About a year ago I went on a Monday (my regular day off) got there at 11:00 he said the store won't open for another 1/2 hour.  Kind of weird.  

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
s0okz said:
What a prick. Keep spreading the word about your experience. Maybe a few shit months of sales will make him rethink his approach to customer service.
Nah, it's been tried time and again they just don't care. Shoot at Mitchel or Brookhaven or Calverton or better yet make some friends here and shoot at some and or join some of the great private ranges on the island!

·
Registered
169 Posts
It amazes me that they are still in business. I recommend campsite in huntington. Night and day customer service. I went there to look at ARs and the guy Jonathan was awesome. I told him I really knew nothing about them, but was thinking about buying one. He literally showed me every different brand they had, handing me one at a time, and explaining the features and price difference of each one. I wasn't planning on a purchase that night being more of a tire-kicker, but with my experience with this gentleman, I couldn't refuse. I ended up purchasing the RRA operator. The store was crowded, so he easily could have brushed me off. LISC could really take some pointers from them. I guess thats why they are always empty and campsite is always crowded ;) (for the record: I have no affiliation with campsite)

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
lapdog said:
It amazes me that they are still in business. I recommend campsite in huntington. Night and day customer service. I went there to look at ARs and the guy Jonathan was awesome. I told him I really knew nothing about them, but was thinking about buying one. He literally showed me every different brand they had, handing me one at a time, and explaining the features and price difference of each one. I wasn't planning on a purchase that night being more of a tire-kicker, but with my experience with this gentleman, I couldn't refuse. I ended up purchasing the RRA operator. The store was crowded, so he easily could have brushed me off. LISC could really take some pointers from them. I guess thats why they are always empty and campsite is always crowded ;) (for the record: I have no affiliation with campsite)
With the possible exception of SSS, Campsite is BY FAR the best shop around!

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.