Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, i was wondering if anyone knows how this stuff works.  I bought an ATV from a good friend and i got the Transferable Registration and on the back it says to sign it and it will be transfered to my name.  But i know that is not the end of it.  Has anyone else done this before and know which forms i need so i can download them off the DMV site.  I checked on the site on how to do this but it was a little confusing and not very straight forward like usual with the DMV.  I do appreciate your help.  Thank you, Anthony

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pate said:
This should be the form you need. http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv51b.pdf

The advantage to have an ATV registered is the cops won't impound it when you get caught riding it. You will still get the tickets.
Thank you, So is that the only form i need or do i need a bill of sale also. I have the transferable regi and i just have to get it signed.
Thanks

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
It says you need the MV51 or a bill of sale. I don't see where it shows the price you paid for the ATV on either of those two forms. You need to pay sales tax based on the sale price. I would write up a bill of sale with all the ATV info, sellers & buyers info anyway.

Sucks to have to make a 2nd trip to DMV.

Are you just moving it to your name or gonna register it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i bought it from a friend and i have the transferable title or registration what every its called lol, i just need it in my name so i can get a new sticker for the plate because the old one says 08 on it.

So i can write a bill of sale saying i paid $100 becasue the engine is seized or whatever, so theyll make me pay tax on the 100 dollars at DMV?

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
To register it you need to follow Instructions #1

Both of those forms, vin tracing, MV-82 and proof of ID.

No comment on what to put on the form as the "sale cost". ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so tell me if this makes sense,
I called DMV and they told me the following,
I need to bring a MV-82 which is a vehicle registration/title application and a dtf-802 which is the bill of sale form, and my drivers license. I was looking at the mv-51 and i believe that is to register the quad if it wasnt already.

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
I've been "evicted" from many a riding spot in my youth and never had my quad impounded. Watched the cops and park police haul away quite a few unregistered ones. They claim it's only because they can't prove ownership. Once you can prove it's yours you get it back after paying all the fees.

I've even seen them tow trucks and trailers out of the pine barrens. (illegal parking)

Riding is illegal and everyone knows it. You roll the dice and take your chances. The cops are just doing their jobs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cops can still impound your atv if it's registered but you can get it back after fines and fees. Registering an atv is only needed to show proof of ownership and in some states with insurance you can ride on public streets. If its not registered to you it's very difficult to get it out of impound.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so im filling out the forms and the mv-82 is confusing for the sale of the ATV. It asks if i want to renew, change or transfer plate number to this vechile.  Is that what i want to do?  Also it asks for a primary registrant and co registrant which is confusing because i need a co registrant on a ATV?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.