Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m hearing rumors that NCPD, is sending out emails, stating that , in direct opposition to NYS law, you may NOT store a handgun, unloaded, even in a safe, unattended, in a vehicle, in Nassau County.
That said firearm, must be upon your person, or locked up, at home.
in effect, they are taking away your ability to carry, in Nassau Co, but safely store firearm, should you need to enter a sensitive/restricted location.

I hope that this is untrue.
How can they deviate from NYS Law, if this is true?

· Registered
280 Posts
I’m hearing rumors that NCPD, is sending out emails, stating that , in direct opposition to NYS law, you may NOT store a handgun, unloaded, even in a safe, unattended, in a vehicle, in Nassau County.
in effect, they are taking away your ability to carry, in Nassau Co, but safely store firearm, should you need to enter a sensitive/restricted location.

good keep it on u then they cant have there cake and eat it to Nassau is truly terrible. They make suffolk county look like Texas.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood, but that’s not really an answer.
I’ve been trying to google this, and am coming up dry.
Im not advocating what someone else should, or should not do… I just would like to know, so my own choices are edumacated, lol.

· Registered
2,628 Posts

Unfortunately I cannot speak to the truth of the rumors, but I can address the other concern.

Local authorities are allowed to "deviate from NYS Law" without being " in direct opposition to NYS law" in certain respects as the "preemption" only applies to licensing requirements.

Penal Law § 265.45 Failure to safely store rifles, shotguns, and firearms in the first degree lays out the storage requirement for vehicles and other situations. It states, "Nothing in this section shall be deemed to affect, impair or supersede any special or local act relating to the safe storage of rifles, shotguns or firearms which impose additional requirements on the owner or custodian of such weapons."

That being said, it would require a Nassau Legislature or other local municipality passing an "act" with additional requirements. An edict of the NCPD commissioner would not be enough.

· Registered
12,456 Posts
New York has always given the Pistol Licensing Authority the ability to place requirements or restrictions. Pre CCIA, no law was required for a training class to obtain a pistol license, however, most counties required it completed before you could be approved for a pistol license. Some counties prohibited a licensee from leaving the state with a pistol under their license requirements.

· Registered
109 Posts
I was always under the impression that once the weapon leaves it's storage space it stays with me at all times, I am always responsible for it. I am now vacationing down South, I am legal to carry in this State. Last week Mrs. and I went to a State park, I had my weapon with me. We got to the door of the museum in the Park, a sign on the door says "No Firearms Allowed"...what to do now? I didn't like the idea of locking the pistol in the car so we left. Unfortunate as it looked like an interesting place. Same thing happened many years ago in Nashville at the Country Music Hall of Fame.

· Registered
320 Posts
The whole system is engineered to entrap lawful handgun owners who CARRY firearms. They don't want you to possess a handgun and if you do, they don't want it to leave the safe in your home. This essentially negates the very purpose that many people obtain handguns for in the first place.

Lets face it, Hochul and the lefties are far more interested in protecting perpetrator rights than they are about helping honest, law-abiding citizens protect themselves.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a little more digging, and it seems to be one of the “administrative dictates” that are on the form they have to sign, when being issued their NCPD permit.
How can NCPD enforce this on a lawfully permitted person from another county, that would honestly not know about it, as it’s not a local “law” that they could research, prior to visiting, and who would not have access to that NCPD signatory receipt? Do we have any Nassau County guys, that could chime in on this?

· Premium Member
813 Posts
When you pick up your Post CCIA CCW- Nassau will tell you that you are not allowed to leave you weapon in the vehicle under any circumstances. This is relevant only to Nassau permit holders since in the event your weapon is stolen from the car Nassau will have the authority to revoke your permit.

In my opinion the CCIA specifically allows leaving you weapon in the vehicle in order to be able to argue that you have a way to store your weapon in order to avoid entering a sensitive location. I am sure the legislature will argue that you can carry in public and that you have the ability to lawfully store your weapon in your vehicle and somehow will further argue that this makes the CCIA constitutional. (I am not addressing the fact that not everyone has a car, the fact that if your car is parked in a private parking lot you might still be in violation……..)

· Premium Member
813 Posts
Agreed- my comments were based on following the CCIA as written (securing the weapon in a locked box affixed to the vehicle unloaded). Keep in mind that Nassau will expect compliance with Nassau’s guidance. Even you follow the CCIA Nassau is likely to default to their own guidance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts