Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on if this is possible. People have bowling alleys in their homes so why not a shooting range. Sound proofing and some sort of air filtering. I'm sure it's been done before.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
7,969 Posts
Any thoughts on if this is possible. People have bowling alleys in their homes so why not a shooting range. Sound proofing and some sort of air filtering. I'm sure it's been done before.
500 feet distance needed from your neighbor. Otherwise, why not.

You cannot discharge a firearm within 500 feet, crossbow within 250 feet or longbow within 150 feet of any school, playground, occupied factory or church, dwelling, farm building, or structure unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent. https://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/2442.html

·
Registered
201 Posts
Everything in NY requires a "license" and/or a "permit". Getting a license for a gun range under your back lawn would be interesting.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aside from the laws, what would you need to make a safe mini range. Let's pretend I have no neighbors and I don't care if I go to prison.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As a teenager back in the late seventies we shot 22s in the basement with cardboard boxes stuff with about 18 inches of newspaper. No problems, we didn't care about lead dust. Adults assume were smart enough not to injure ourselves. No one cared if it was illegal..... The government should know nothing about what goes on in your home. Keep your mouth shut.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Years ago a local Sheriff and gunsmith had a short pistol range in his basement. It was used primarily for test firing handguns. The guy got lead poisoning. There's a reason for strict regulations on indoor shooting facilities.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
As a teenager back in the late seventies we shot 22s in the basement with cardboard boxes stuff with about 18 inches of newspaper. No problems, we didn't care about lead dust. Adults assume were smart enough not to injure ourselves. No one cared if it was illegal..... The government should know nothing about what goes on in your home. Keep your mouth shut.
Lead dust is not the issue. Gaseous lead (actually, the smoke isn't gaseous, but it's airborne, so close enough) is formed by the primer and often the powder too. There are totally lead free cartridges out there, but they're hard to come by. Simply using a lead free bullet is not nearly enough.

Lead air gun pellets BTW are perfectly safe to use indoors.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Plastic practice rounds propelled by just primers into a cardboard box covered with a target (I still have a few boxes). .22 CB Caps. Used to be common. American Rifleman published how to make wax bullets for the same purpose. That was back when a man's home was his, none of your business what I am doing in my basement. Times have changed though.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
A certain local dealer got raided and arrested for having a range in the basement of the shop.

It was all BS but look what they put him through
Yeah, that was total BS because he would not commit a crime as ordered to by an LEO acting from their position of authority

·
Registered
11,487 Posts
Yeah, that was total BS because he would not commit a crime as ordered to by an LEO acting from their position of authority
If that case happened today, the De-Fund Police movement would've covered the story nation wide because that officer wanted the store owner to give his friend a pistol without a purchase document. That was completely illegal!
Let's hope his other Federal Lawsuit exposes what then DA Rice did.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
American Rifleman published how to make wax bullets for the same purpose. That was back when a man's home was his, none of your business what I am doing in my basement. Times have changed though.
You mean I have to stop firing wax bullets in my basement now :)

·
MOLON LABE
3,301 Posts
Some towns have town administrative codes that do not allow the firing of gun within town limits.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
To Boosti: Yup

1 - 20 of 31 Posts