Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone, I've finally decided to apply for a pistol license but I'm curious about a few things
1. Is the interview an actual interview? Or do you just hand over your documents and leave.

2. In regards to the 4 references. I know in most cases references are never contacted, but if they are, how are they contacted? Someone had told me they get something in the mail they have to fill out.

Sorry if any of this has already been answered, I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

For the most part, you just go over the questions on the application.

As far as references go, two of the 4 will have to fill out a long form that will have to be notarized. If they do get contacted after that it will probably be by phone. They let you pick which two, so what you could do is have them fill out and notarize the form before the interview and hand in everything that day.

Here's the form that two of your references will have to complete:
http://apps.suffolkcountyny.gov/police/forms/Character_Reference_Affidavit.pdf

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm going to copy and paste my interview experience for you. I had my interview on June 6th and just got my license the other day.

"The interview itself wasn't bad at all. As soon as I shook the officer's hand, he had me stand in front of the camera and take my 3 mugshots (front, left, and right). After that, he brought me in the back and had me sign a bunch of forms, take a copy of all my documents, initial next to all of the questions that I answered no to on the questionnaire, and then about 1000 fingerprints. He went over how to purchase a handgun and put it on my license and all of the rules/regulations involved. After that, he gave me the actual application to get my 4 reference signatures (doesn't need to be notarized this time thank goodness) and I was on my way. The officer was very pleasant to deal with."

As far as references go, none of mine were ever contacted so I can't tell you how they're contacted.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
I had the same experience as above (interviewed early OCT 2014)... definitely have the character reference affidavits completed and notarized to take with you to the interview (one less thing to worry about). They will ask you to pick 2 of the 4... only my boss and my wife were called... none of my references were contacted.

Here is the link to the "sub-forum" for Suffolk licensing:
http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/forum/42-suffolk-county-licensinglaws/

Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Applied for my pistol license and received a Phone call to set up my interview I called back and set it up but I might need to cancel does anyone know if there is a timeframe that you have to go for the interview because due to all the craziness over the last year and for current financial and personal /transportation reasons I’m not sure when I’ll be able to set up a rescheduled interview? Please let me know as soon as possible if possible as the interview is set up for today at 2pm. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.