1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
I have use the kit from Numrich, with good results. I park'd a bunch of smaller parts, and a few large ones

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NRATC53 said:
I have use the kit from Numrich, with good results. I park'd a bunch of smaller parts, and a few large ones
I'm thinking about doing a park job on the Model 11
The Blue came out nice, however I am not sure it was what I was looking for.

I may just bubba the crap out of it and add a synthetic stick and forend, park it and be able to beat the tar out of it in the field and on the range.
The wood is a bit dried out (discovered since the rebuild/refinish)

something like this but parked

·
INFIDEL
7,263 Posts
I have parkerized a lot in the past.  You will need a stainless pot large enough to submerge your items in. Also a heat source, such as a gas grill in which you can heat said pot to a even 190 degrees. Also a candy thermometer with a long stem. The solution, manganise phosphate, you can get at Midway or MG42.com if he is still in business for under $20. The biggest pain was to get your items bead blasted, Aluminum oxide gives a good finish for military weapons,  After bead blasting DO NOT touch the items without clean rubber gloves, Submerge the parts in your solution by a piece of copper wire and it will bubble and fizz. After it stops, rinse well in hot water and it will air dry very quickly, Spray with wd40 for a nice black finish. If you have any WW2 era cosmoline, you can use that to give a GI greenish tint. The WW2 cosmoline contains copper phosphate.  With a quart of the solution you can mix enough to park everyones guns in the neighborhood for under $20. I have tried the stuff that removes old finish and prepairs the metal to park, it didnt work for me. Bead blast for a professional finish.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
mongo said:
I have parkerized a lot in the past. You will need a stainless pot large enough to submerge your items in. Also a heat source, such as a gas grill in which you can heat said pot to a even 190 degrees. Also a candy thermometer with a long stem. The solution, manganise phosphate, you can get at Midway or MG42.com if he is still in business for under $20. The biggest pain was to get your items bead blasted, Aluminum oxide gives a good finish for military weapons, After bead blasting DO NOT touch the items without clean rubber gloves, Submerge the parts in your solution by a piece of copper wire and it will bubble and fizz. After it stops, rinse well in hot water and it will air dry very quickly, Spray with wd40 for a nice black finish. If you have any WW2 era cosmoline, you can use that to give a GI greenish tint. The WW2 cosmoline contains copper phosphate. With a quart of the solution you can mix enough to park everyones guns in the neighborhood for under $20. I have tried the stuff that removes old finish and prepairs the metal to park, it didnt work for me. Bead blast for a professional finish.
What he said. I also had a sheetmetal friend of mine make me a 3' x 8" x 8" stainless tank (long enough to do a whole barrelled action. I put legs on it and found that sterno's did a very nice job getting it up to and maintaining temperature. It is actually a fun and rewarding project. I found myself parkerizing all kinds of things just to practice. I did two Garands and a BM59 kit with one online kit.

As a side note: just make sure you plug all the things you don't wish to park. Such as the inside of a barrel. I used wood dowels to suspend the actions in the solution which also plugged both ends.

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Both excellent tips! Couldn't type that much

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.