Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the real deal, are they giving out paper or plastic permits or both depending on circumstance? I ask because I have heard that new applicants/permits have got issued plastic, yet some still paper. I have also heard that renewals and anyone with a old paper permit will NEVER get plastic? Also can anyone show us what the plastic permit looks like?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
It is my understanding that applicants who were interviewed in Nassau County prior to April 2011 such as myself, were issued, and still being issued a paper license. Applicants interviewed after April 2011 get the plastic license. I took a look at the new plactic in person and my thoughts were that I needed a microfiche machine to read the text...Also my understanding that paper renewals are still being reissued on paper.

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
New licenses are plastic, if you have an old license with more than 1 page of firearms when you renew you will still get paper. Also, if you have plastic and you buy/have alot of guns you will be issued multi plastic cards, they say they can't put everything on one, how many is too many unknown. So if you have 20 guns my guess is you will get several plastic cards. How does Suffolk handle it multi plastic cards or one card?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I was there a few weeks ago and the po told me that they stopped issuing plastic, can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was there on tuesday for my interview, they are still issuing plastic licenses, I asked the officer. I also saw a license that was being issued on the fingerprinting screen. Its this orange and white card, nothing special.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
AFAIK all renewals are paper and all new licensees or transfers are plastic.

The plastic has some issues with legibility. The permit number (yes, it says "Permit #:") is in an orange-red ink which is tough to read, and they went with a "vertical business card" type of format, which was probably done to make it possible to list more guns on the back.

However, the back is now so short per line that the gun manufacturer takes up two or three lines in some cases. So, in reality you are going to get maybe a dozen guns on there. Also, the print is tiny like 6 pica and they added a Nassau County Seal on the back (I dunno , because they could?) which makes it nearly impossible to read the black printed serial numbers that are over the gray printed seal. These are probably going to be guns 6-10 in the list.

I have heard from people at NCPD that "they did not know how long the plastic weould last" and "they may be changing the cards becuase of several issues".

I do not have any "inside information" on what thosde issues might be other than my observations above, and that thwe card says "Issued by NCPD" and has the Nassau seal on it, but the hologram printing layer clearly has the New York State seal. IIRC Suffolk's only has the NYS Seal.

It appears to me that Nassu is trying to re-brand the State license that they are tasked with administrating as a Nassau County document. I fear this is laying the groundwork for the imposition of additional extralegal restrictions that they could threaten revocation over. Better pay those Nassau traffic cam tickets, fellas.

'

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
A member here just stated the other day that his wife was just issued her license without having one prior and received a paper license.

Here's his quote. Go figure. Not all new licenses are plastic

hydtguy said:
Last week the wife finaly got hers(10 months 2 weeks).....Paper.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
We live in a county that can not pay its bills, run a bus service or collect VTL fines.
Should we expect it to decide between paper and plastic ?

·
Banned
91 Posts
airbrushart said:
New licenses are plastic, if you have an old license with more than 1 page of firearms when you renew you will still get paper. Also, if you have plastic and you buy/have alot of guns you will be issued multi plastic cards, they say they can't put everything on one, how many is too many unknown. So if you have 20 guns my guess is you will get several plastic cards. How does Suffolk handle it multi plastic cards or one card?
I renewed my Suffolk paper license in 2010 I now have 2 plastic and it will hold about 30 pistol numbers easy

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
Why can't nassau figure out something as simple as a plastic card. Suffolk has been using them for years. And yes, if you have to many guns for one card they issue a second.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Captain Will said:
AFAIK all renewals are paper and all new licensees or transfers are plastic.

The plastic has some issues with legibility. The permit number (yes, it says "Permit #:") is in an orange-red ink which is tough to read, and they went with a "vertical business card" type of format, which was probably done to make it possible to list more guns on the back.

However, the back is now so short per line that the gun manufacturer takes up two or three lines in some cases. So, in reality you are going to get maybe a dozen guns on there. Also, the print is tiny like 6 pica and they added a Nassau County Seal on the back (I dunno , because they could?) which makes it nearly impossible to read the black printed serial numbers that are over the gray printed seal. These are probably going to be guns 6-10 in the list.

I have heard from people at NCPD that "they did not know how long the plastic weould last" and "they may be changing the cards becuase of several issues".

I do not have any "inside information" on what thosde issues might be other than my observations above, and that thwe card says "Issued by NCPD" and has the Nassau seal on it, but the hologram printing layer clearly has the New York State seal. IIRC Suffolk's only has the NYS Seal.

It appears to me that Nassu is trying to re-brand the State license that they are tasked with administrating as a Nassau County document. I fear this is laying the groundwork for the imposition of additional extralegal restrictions that they could threaten revocation over. Better pay those Nassau traffic cam tickets, fellas.

'
I'm sorry, but if NCPD can't figure this out, it's because they're (fill in insult here). If all the other counties of the state can figure this out but they can't, then there is something wrong with them.

·
Winter is coming
3,569 Posts
Can't wait till the day I have to get my third Suffolk card!  :)

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Just renewed my Nassau license and it is still paper. I even asked them why and all they said was it's going to be a while before current paper licenses are switched to plastic
I don't understand why. I only have 5 guns on my license so they would easily fit on one page of a plastic license. They have all the info in their computer. The paper license they mailed me was printed a month before I got it so it did not have my latest gun on it. They just printed up a new paper license with the additional gun while I was there. So they could have just as easily printed a plastic one.
Now I have to carry this delicate piece of paper around for the next 5 years and hope it doesn't disintegrate.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Suffolk issues multiple plastic cards. #'s 1 through 8 on the back of card #1. #'s 9 through 33 on both sides of card #2 and on and on it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
T.Webb said:
Suffolk issues multiple plastic cards. #'s 1 through 8 on the back of card #1. #'s 9 through 33 on both sides of card #2 and on and on it goes.
Pete, you must have a collection of those cards... ;)

·
Bocce & Bullets - Booyah!
2,516 Posts
No offense intended towards our Nassau brethren but reading the time line threads for that county - I would say who cares as long as you physically have something in hand! Let them catch up when they can...

They'll probably extend the wait for licensing saying "We apologize for the delay in receiving your Pistol License for the next 18 months as we undergo upgrades to our licensing process".

·
Registered
523 Posts
I was told that NC don't know how to or can't transfer the old database (paper) to the new system (plastic). That's why most of the new applicants get plastic and the renewals still get paper.

·
Banned
8,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
krash610 said:
I was told that NC don't know how to or can't transfer the old database (paper) to the new system (plastic). That's why most of the new applicants get plastic and the renewals still get paper.
Heard the exact same thing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is my understanding that applicants who were interviewed in Nassau County prior to April 2011 such as myself, were issued, and still being issued a paper license. Applicants interviewed after April 2011 get the plastic license. I took a look at the new plactic in person and my thoughts were that I needed a microfiche machine to read the text...Also my understanding that paper renewals are still being reissued on paper.
Click here to learn about 3 part carbonless paper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts