1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
you mean tried to order it? i think the threaded barrel is the only issue
Well yes, that. I promptly got an email from the compliance dept stating it was no go for NY.
I argued the following;
1) It is going to an FFL, it is there job to ensure compliance prior to transferring
2) It does not meet NY's definition of an assault weapon as it is neither a pistol, rifle or shotgun.
3) It will transfer as an "other" on the 4473 just like a stripped AR lower
4) It is not currently semi automatic as it has no operating system
5) Given that it is the end users responsibility to put it together, it can be configured in any number of lawful ways to include, fixed mag, non semi single shot, or featureless.

They didn't want to hear it.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Well yes, that. I promptly got an email from the compliance dept stating it was no go for NY.
I argued the following;
1) It is going to an FFL, it is there job to ensure compliance prior to transferring
2) It does not meet NY's definition of an assault weapon as it is neither a pistol, rifle or shotgun.
5) Given that it is the end users responsibility to put it together, it can be configured in any number of lawful ways to include, fixed mag, non semi single shot, or featureless.

I still understand their position. They know that there is probably a 99% chance that it would become part of an non-compliant rifle and the authorities might try to build some sort of case against them.

Also, many from NY might be less informed about the unSAFE Act and assume if PSA sold it to them, the rifle they build with it must be legal.

Did you find a local FFL willing to transfer it to an non-LEO? I would think most would be reluctant.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. There is a way around this though. After speaking with Palmetto they said if you have your FFL order it for you, then they will ship it, but your name can not be associated with the order. So you'd have to give the FFL the money to order it then when it comes in transfer it to you.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
I argued the following;

diference is when you buy a AR lower, it has no gas system attached to it. also with a barreled AR upper, there is no serial number, so therefore not a firearm

in this case you have a serial numbered receiver with a components for a gas system with a threaded barrel. so it is a bit of a grey area and too much of an honor system for you to do it right without it coming back to them.

hopefully they will notice a market in NY and offer one with no features and relocated tiggor group

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
diference is when you buy a AR lower, it has no gas system attached to it. also with a barreled AR upper, there is no serial number, so therefore not a firearm

in this case you have a serial numbered receiver with a components for a gas system with a threaded barrel. so it is a bit of a grey area and too much of an honor system for you to do it right without it coming back to them.

hopefully they will notice a market in NY and offer one with no features and relocated tiggor group
Also, it is plausible that someone would build a fixed mag AR-15. Is a fixed mag AK even possible? To top load, you would need to remove the dust cover, spring and bolt carrier group each time.

·
Banned
3,887 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.