Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving for a short vaca with the family this weekend, heading to PA. Is there any laws I should know about in reguards to carrying hollow points in my pistol?? This will be my first trip out of state with my gun and I want to get it right. I'd hate to be locked up for something stupid during what will be my first true CCW experience

Thanks

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm leaving for a short vaca with the family this weekend, heading to PA. Is there any laws I should know about in reguards to carrying hollow points in my pistol?? This will be my first trip out of state with my gun and I want to get it right. I'd hate to be locked up for something stupid during what will be my first true CCW experience

Thanks

·
******* Limey.
1,601 Posts
DON'T drive through New Jersey with hollow point ammo, it's illegal there and they WILL nick you for it.

·
******* Limey.
1,601 Posts
DON'T drive through New Jersey with hollow point ammo, it's illegal there and they WILL nick you for it.

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,238 Posts
FULL METAL JACKET said:

Thanks
I think the hollow point issue is in NJ. I don't think it is an issue in PA.

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,238 Posts
FULL METAL JACKET said:

Thanks
I think the hollow point issue is in NJ. I don't think it is an issue in PA.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Buy hollow points in PA if you want. NJ will only give you problems if you are carrying IF you are stopped. So lock the gun in the trunk, lock the ammo separately, don't give the NJ Storm Troopers reason to stop and hassle you.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Buy hollow points in PA if you want. NJ will only give you problems if you are carrying IF you are stopped. So lock the gun in the trunk, lock the ammo separately, don't give the NJ Storm Troopers reason to stop and hassle you.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
thetreewisemen said:
This is completely wrong! Please help stop spreading half truths. It is only illegal to carry.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
thetreewisemen said:
This is completely wrong! Please help stop spreading half truths. It is only illegal to carry.

·
******* Limey.
1,601 Posts
Foosel said:
Sorry! I stand corrected!!

·
******* Limey.
1,601 Posts
Foosel said:

·
Registered
374 Posts
@Foosel
This isn't the first time I've seen you clarify an issue, much appreciated ;)

And this is straight from the horse's mouth "New Jersey State Police".

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

·
Registered
374 Posts
@Foosel
This isn't the first time I've seen you clarify an issue, much appreciated ;)

And this is straight from the horse's mouth "New Jersey State Police".

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
thetreewisemen said:
I'm not trying to come off as a snob. I'm just holding us all to a higher standard.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
thetreewisemen said:
I'm not trying to come off as a snob. I'm just holding us all to a higher standard.

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Foosel said:
Thanks Foosel... I corrected the "traveling through NYC" thread already, in reference to traveling through NJ with hollow points.

That's kind of my question... Does PA have any CCW restrictions ewhen it comes to Hollow point bullets?

Are hornady critical defense considered hollow point? Being they're filled with plastic?

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Foosel said:
Thanks Foosel... I corrected the "traveling through NYC" thread already, in reference to traveling through NJ with hollow points.

That's kind of my question... Does PA have any CCW restrictions ewhen it comes to Hollow point bullets?

Are hornady critical defense considered hollow point? Being they're filled with plastic?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts