Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://patch.com/new-york/oysterbay/custodian-charged-threatening-school-wear-gps-bracelet

Not helping...

Concerned parents and school administrators in the Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District held a meeting Tuesday night to discuss the school custodian who was arrested and charged with making a terroristic threat against James H. Vernon School.

Brian Hulsen, 40, of Bethpage, was talking to a teacher at the school when he made threats toward another teacher and toward the school in general on Friday, Sept. 4, police said.

Hulsen reportedly threatened the teacher and the school with an attack similar to the mass shooting that occurred at Columbine High School in Colorado in 1999, Newsday reports.

Officials are not sure why Hulsen made the threats.

"He was not in an altercation with anybody at that point. He just blurted out and at this point, we don't know why exactly he did so," Nassau County Police Sgt. Richard Lebrun told WCBS 880.

·
SUPER STAR
5,479 Posts
Perhaps he's a few fries short of a happy meal?
I wouldn't doubt it.

Someone suggested to me to take the "custodian" test in Nassau County. I signed up and took the test. There were more people at that test than any other civil service test I ever took

The questions were ridiculous.....like "which tool would you use to sweep a floor" choices were a a picture of a broom or a hammer or two screw drivers.

I got scored a 100 on the test and got letters from almost every school district in Nassau....I went to one interview, showed up in a suit, they couldn't believe I showed up in a suit. I think insulted the "head custodian" by answering one of his questions by asking him "how hard is it to sweep a floor???"

·
Registered
26,474 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it.

Someone suggested to me to take the "custodian" test in Nassau County. I signed up and took the test. There were more people at that test than any other civil service test I ever took

The questions were ridiculous.....like "which tool would you use to sweep a floor" choices were a a picture of a broom or a hammer or two screw drivers.

I got scored a 100 on the test and got letters from almost every school district in Nassau....I went to one interview, showed up in a suit, they couldn't believe I showed up in a suit. I think insulted the "head custodian" by answering one of his questions by asking him "how hard is it to sweep a floor???"
The dumbing down of America!

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
It's funny that they call them custodians out here. In NYC the're called cleaners.
In NYC the Custodian is the guy who has the license for the building (high pressure steam, boiler, A/C)
He also does payroll, building budgeting and is a quasi-contractor having to claim all the building funds as income.
They mostly work out of an air-conditioned office all day,
while his crew (fireman, handi-man, cleaner, grounds keeper) work to keep things running.
If you get 100 on that test and they call you, take the job, it pays big bucks.

Reactions: Karpteach

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Long Island schools have custodians. The person in charge is the Head Custodian and every building has one, I believe.

We did everything from cleaning the building, building maintenance to cutting the grass. My main job was to clean because I worked at night when all the cleaning was done after the school day was over. We swept and mopped, mostly. Cleaned windows and mirrors and the bathrooms.

Not rocket science, but there was a way to do it, so you got done quickly. It was easy money. Did the 3-11, but was usually done by 6 or so (we each had an entire floor of classrooms/bathrooms/offices to clean) and then was able to sit around and do homework unless someone needed help with something.

·
Still a David Crockett kid
2,826 Posts
I wouldn't doubt it.

So did you get the job?

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
Work Place Stupidity?

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
I have a friend who's a custodian on LI makes close to 6 figures. Super nice responsible level guy.

In regards to threats. As a one time certified teacher who briefly in my ideological younger days tried the job before saying "eff this racket" and moving onto the private sector...

You are obligated legally to report any abuse or threats. It's part of your certification training. This was very annoying since many of the wise @$$ kids in late middle and high school I subbed would constantly say stuff to push your buttons, like things that could be "terroristic" threats. It was frustrating cause you know the kids are messing around but if something happens and you didn't report it you can lose your job, license, and be open to civil suits.

And in personal life many people use analogies or phrases we don't mean (especially guys like me with dark humor and sarcasm). Nowadays in this super PC and patriot act era, something as innocent as being a mean sarcastic [email protected]$tard can put you in the headlines. I can't imagine how "walking on eggshells" it must be today in the teachers lounge, talking with the students, etc. Crazy world.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.