·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
:scare

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think so...I never wheeled with them personally I sold my big truck about a year ago. I know they do a lot of meets in parking lots and I think they were trying to set up a trip to rausch. They are relatively new just started at the end of last year I think. I am not promoting anything illegal I just was not sure if anyone here was a member there. There are other long island groups, I see a few jeep wranglers every now and then with a window decal of a club name I can never find a site or any information on them though.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I just took a quick look through their forums, Now I'm not judging on their choice of where to play, but when I'm reading about police raiding their 'spot', and rumors of sting operations to kill offroading.... I just get MAD!..... Here we have hard-working people just out trying to have some good fun, and we get the police bringing the hammer down...

Yeah, great police work.

These guys aren't selling drugs, they're not stealing, they're not hurting anyone (except maybe themselves IF they wreck)... I USED to enjoy trail riding on dirtbikes, until the police started showing up (Morgan's Farm, x70-71) with big trailers & trucks and Seizing everyone's bikes (at the time I was told they weren't 'impounded' where you can pay and retrieve, but 'confiscated' -"You're NOT getting it back")

I (and my friends) quit riding dirt soon after that started... sucked the fun out of it having to always be looking over our shoulders.... So what was the result? Well, since we had no reason to wake up at 6a.m. anymore we stayed at the clubs later, we drank more.... Probably a good thing I never drove going out. (I only had bikes, rather ride with my buddies in the car)

Yep, there's a positive result to killing off offroading.....

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
What's the problem is some folks are doing these things on private property where there can be a possible lawsuit if there's an incident.

·
Banned
8,963 Posts
No problem if you have the property, room away from the neighbors, and meet code. Just like anything else in NYS. In fact you can join private clubs in the Catskills and Rennselaer with thousands of acres to play on.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The Architect said:
What's the problem is some folks are doing these things on private property where there can be a possible lawsuit if there's an incident.
Exactly..
Tresspassing isn't allowed, along with "Tearing $hit up" is NOT responsible offroading.

I suggest looking into Tread Lightly! and their efforts to keep trails open and promote responsible wheeling.
When people wheel illegally, especially locally, it kills it for everyone, even LEGAL trails.

Tellico was closed down! Lion's Back in Moab was closed down!
If you think this doesn't affect us locally, you're wrong..
Paragon was closed down as well (not so much environmental but development and political corruption closed it)
They will use environmental impact as the excuse.

I suggest joining Long Island Offroad where legal, responsible wheeling is promoted.
Not to mention they have legal access to some great trails on private property.
They have monthly trail rides too.

There is just no excuse to wheel illegally on long island.

·
Banned
8,963 Posts
Parashooter said:
I just took a quick look through their forums, Now I'm not judging on their choice of where to play, but when I'm reading about police raiding their 'spot', and rumors of sting operations to kill offroading.... I just get MAD!..... Here we have hard-working people just out trying to have some good fun, and we get the police bringing the hammer down...

Yeah, great police work.

These guys aren't selling drugs, they're not stealing, they're not hurting anyone (except maybe themselves IF they wreck)... I USED to enjoy trail riding on dirtbikes, until the police started showing up (Morgan's Farm, x70-71) with big trailers & trucks and Seizing everyone's bikes (at the time I was told they weren't 'impounded' where you can pay and retrieve, but 'confiscated' -"You're NOT getting it back")

I (and my friends) quit riding dirt soon after that started... sucked the fun out of it having to always be looking over our shoulders.... So what was the result? Well, since we had no reason to wake up at 6a.m. anymore we stayed at the clubs later, we drank more.... Probably a good thing I never drove going out. (I only had bikes, rather ride with my buddies in the car)

Yep, there's a positive result to killing off offroading.....
Dirt bikes are HUGE with teenage thieves and joyriders. Look on Youtube.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
As much as I love the great out doors, and i love trails that are quiet- with nobody on it; but these trails are few and far between. Unfortunately a few yahoo's kill it for everyone- just like our common bond for the love of firearms.

I don't see how land development is better for the enviroment. Seperate houses mean more fuel to heat the home, further out means using more gas, septic tanks, water lines, pollutants, garbage, displaced animals...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
madmax said:
As much as I love the great out doors, and i love trails that are quiet- with nobody on it; but these trails are few and far between. Unfortunately a few yahoo's kill it for everyone- just like our common bond for the love of firearms.

I don't see how land development is better for the enviroment. Seperate houses mean more fuel to heat the home, further out means using more gas, septic tanks, water lines, pollutants, garbage, displaced animals...
Much like the firearms community, there are PLENTY of Anti-offroading causes trying to shut down any legal trails.
Doesn't take much more than a neighbor complaining to shut down an otherwise legal trail.
Several trails in Ma. and Ct. have been closed because of neighbors complaining and irresponsible offroaders. :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
O1SalsaX said:
Exactly..
Tresspassing isn't allowed, along with "Tearing $hit up" is NOT responsible offroading.

I suggest looking into Tread Lightly! and their efforts to keep trails open and promote responsible wheeling.
When people wheel illegally, especially locally, it kills it for everyone, even LEGAL trails.

Tellico was closed down! Lion's Back in Moab was closed down!
If you think this doesn't affect us locally, you're wrong..
Paragon was closed down as well (not so much environmental but development and political corruption closed it)
They will use environmental impact as the excuse.

I suggest joining Long Island Offroad where legal, responsible wheeling is promoted.
Not to mention they have legal access to some great trails on private property.
They have monthly trail rides too.

There is just no excuse to wheel illegally on long island.
your not aloud to offroad in the woods but they can rip them down and build thousands of houses and build home depot's and lowes .

i have been riding dirtbikes quads since i was 12 and i am treated like a criminal . how about spending some of the money they use to chase kids on dirtbikes and arrest real criminals like drugdealers .

i have a 4x4 truck and cant take offroad anywhere but the beach , its BS that there is no where to legally wheal on long island .
so when someone tells me i shouldnt wheel illegally i laugh .

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, I can tell you that after running a hunting club on L.I. for 25 years, off roaders were a major problem. They would tear down barbed wire fences as fast as we could repair them, created thier own trails through game areas, and would sometimes make a quick run through the property while guys were hunting...generally bad behavior. If you have a legal spot, then do it, but if you just show up somewhere that looks good to you and start driving all over it, without permission, then you get what you deserve. If there are no legal areas on L.I. like you say, then You will have to look upstate or someplace else to play with your toys. You can't expect a landowner to not call the police simply because you don't have anywhere else to go...always get written permission to be on land that is not yours, and you will never have a problem.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
finfeathr said:
Well, I can tell you that after running a hunting club on L.I. for 25 years, off roaders were a major problem. They would tear down barbed wire fences as fast as we could repair them, created thier own trails through game areas, and would sometimes make a quick run through the property while guys were hunting...generally bad behavior. If you have a legal spot, then do it, but if you just show up somewhere that looks good to you and start driving all over it, without permission, then you get what you deserve. If there are no legal areas on L.I. like you say, then You will have to look upstate or someplace else to play with your toys. You can't expect a landowner to not call the police simply because you don't have anywhere else to go...always get written permission to be on land that is not yours, and you will never have a problem.
Well said..

We can equate the same logic to firearms.
Just because Nassau and Suffolk don't issue carry licenses (to us peasants), doesn't mean you should carry your handgun illegally.
Dumb idea..

·
Banned
8,963 Posts
woodro77 said:
your not aloud to offroad in the woods but they can rip them down and build thousands of houses and build home depot's and lowes .

i have been riding dirtbikes quads since i was 12 and i am treated like a criminal . how about spending some of the money they use to chase kids on dirtbikes and arrest real criminals like drugdealers .

i have a 4x4 truck and cant take offroad anywhere but the beach , its BS that there is no where to legally wheal on long island .
so when someone tells me i shouldnt wheel illegally i laugh .
I must have missed the part where they build a Home Depot on your property. You choose to live here. There are clubs upstate and in PA. Join one and trailer your rig 2-3 hours there.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Most of the more responsible clubs do beach rides or travel upstate... A-Team offroad (I believe their leader is an LIF member) used to do trips upstate and to PA when I was in that forum. If you know someone with a lot of land, that works too. The reason it is controlled so much is because some people are idiots. But, honestly, trying to go hardcore offroading on an island made of sand with no elevation at all is kinda silly. I have a tiny suzuki Sx4 AWD that I have taken on long island sand or mud without any problems whatsoever... So if you've got a real hardcore offroad rig, you might want to be looking off island anyway just because it looks silly to be mudding in a F250 with 35" super swampers next to someone in a tiny AWD hatchback.

I agree, authorities could be going after bigger fish, and quads/dirtbikes are much less damaging than trucks... but it is what it is. I've seen a lot of teen to twenties aged groups of dirtbikers and quadders that cause a lot of problems with vandalism, drugs, fighting etc. When that is how you act for long enough, the rules will get stricter for everyone else. It might be wrong, but that is what happens. (Remember that, fellow gun owners.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
wreckhog said:
I must have missed the part where they build a Home Depot on your property. You choose to live here. There are clubs upstate and in PA. Join one and trailer your rig 2-3 hours there.
i do chose to live here ,its just a shame i have to leave my state to do my hobby when there is plenty of land but cant use it .
i know of a few guys that tried to open motocross tracks and couldn't get town approval . but the town gives the approval to build a huge commercial building . its all about money .

your "building a home depot on my property " comment is just stupid and you just missed the boat on what i was getting at .

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
woodro77 said:
i do chose to live here ,its just a shame i have to leave my state to do my hobby when there is plenty of land but cant use it .
i know of a few guys that tried to open motocross tracks and couldn't get town approval . but the town gives the approval to build a huge commercial building . its all about money .

your "building a home depot on my property " comment is just stupid and you just missed the boat on what i was getting at .
The long island municipalities typically don't approve the applications for ATV parks (drag strips, etc) due to the noise and adjacent residential neighborhoods. Not because of money. Trust me.
I'm in the industry and big commercial and housing complex applications are a pain in the ass to get approved as well.

The only parks that are here are typically grandfathered in. Sad that it's only a matter of time for them to go away as well.

There was a huge sports park proposed (Top Gun sports) with a circle track, ATV area, etc... Multi-million dollar project and it went away due to politics.

Just part of being on long island.
People complain about everything...Don't like it? Move upstate and buy a bunch of land and do as you please.

·
Registered
68 Posts
O1SalsaX said:
The long island municipalities typically don't approve the applications for ATV parks (drag strips, etc) due to the noise and adjacent residential neighborhoods. Not because of money. Trust me.
I'm in the industry and big commercial and housing complex applications are a pain in the ass to get approved as well.

The only parks that are here are typically grandfathered in. Sad that it's only a matter of time for them to go away as well.

There was a huge sports park proposed (Top Gun sports) with a circle track, ATV area, etc... Multi-million dollar project and it went away due to politics.

Just part of being on long island.
People complain about everything...Don't like it? Move upstate and buy a bunch of land and do as you please.
this is not true , there are 3 motocross tracks on long island all started in the last few years , none of them were grandfathered in . i belong to the 1 in yapank . took the owner at least 5 years of fighting it out with town to open . which is going to generate more tax dollars a motocross track or 30 $500,000 houses paying 12-14 thousand dollars a year each .

drag strip closes down and more kids die every year dragging on the street , 18 year year old kid isnt going drive to new jersey to drag race or move out of state . he is going to drag race on the street. then news day and the politicians will try to figure out how to stop street racing .

this place is getting out of control . how about we open a atv offroad park , drag strip , oval track and tell anybody that complains about noise if you dont like it buy some nice quet land up state and move .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.