Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never gone to the outdoor range before and I'm considering going to Calverton in the next few days. What do I need to bring? Do I have to go out and buy metal targets? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
NRA Instructor, RSO, NRA Lifetime and NYSRPA Member, Freeport R&R
132 Posts
Visit Brookhaven Range. Took my son the other day, great place to start out. Brings your guns, your ammo, eye and ear protection. Bring targets, and any gear you think you will need while shooting. All depends on what you need. We brought everything from a towel to lay on bench, to basic tools for adjusting scopes, sights, disassembling rifles, etc. be sure to bring your drivers license, pistol license and wallet! It was a great day, lots of fun.

If you are going to calverton bring sunscreen.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
bring a cushion for the stump. Don't forget something to drink and a snack then enjoy.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Whattaya gonna shoot? Rifle or pistol I presume?

You need targets and a stapler to fasten the targets to the boards.
You need a way to see the targets from a distance, so a spotting scope is helpful, but in a pinch you can try binoculars.
You need whatever tool necessary to adjust your sights.
Eye protection. Ear protection for shooter and spectator.
Money.
Piece of rug or a towel for the table.
Some sandbags or a rest of some sort, something to put the rifle on to steady it while you sight in. A small duffel bag stuffed with old clothes can work.
Depending on your firearm, some way off prying out a dud cartridge if it gets stuck.
If its a new gun, maybe the owners manual.
Sense of humor to deal with Range Officers.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
if its Calverton on a weekend, bring some string or wire and a large piece of corrugated cardboard in case you don't get lucky and end up with two stakes with no backboard at all. Bring a backup to the aforementioned stapler, even if its just long thumbtacks.
Brookhaven provides much better target backings, and more regimentation, but if you are shooting long guns you can only shoot from a bench. (Funny, but the deer I sometimes shoot at don't wait for me to find a bench.) And I doubt a home invader would either. You do get to shoot pistols offhand at Brookhaven though. You need the aforementioned sense of humor in dealing with ROs more at Brookhaven than at Calverton, where its common to have no contact with an RO except to follow commands for cease fire from the tower. The pistol range at Calverton is "self-run."

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
Lately there hasn't been an issue with the backers at Calverton.
A beach umbrella is. A nice to have. Go to Horrible Freight and buy a small moving blanket to cover the table. If you forget anything someone thete will have it.

·
Still working on a screen name
6,619 Posts
No steel targets, paper only.
Calverton supplies the bench, a log, or partly cracked plastic lawn chair to sit on, a metal frame that holds the remains of a target backerboard (that usually has so many holes in it that it's often hard to find a spot that will hold a staple), a up to 200 yd sandpit to shoot in, and a port-a-potty (proceed with caution)
Everything else mentioned already you'll need to bring ...
There is an ammo shack there that sells targets, some basic supplies, and semi-pricey ammo, usually not much in the way of .22lr lately though.
And as mentioned, a hot dog truck. Dirtywater dogs, knishes, assorted sodas and iced teas. Bring your own Tum's.

Not glamorous by any means, but it works. And you can back your truck up right to your bench (if it's not too crowded) which is a big plus if you have a lot of gear.

Reactions: Ramone
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.