Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone like to comment on their experience w/optics? I'm debating getting a holo sight for my mossberg. I like the ability to keep both eyes open w/the holo, but have no experience using one. Some practical wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dov

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't know about hunting, but I was told for HD and clay shooting, you just kinda aim the shotgun in the general direction of your target.  I could be wrong, but I never fired a shotgun that had more then a ghost ring sight.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Go with an eotech for the shotgun. Great optic i personally love them. I actually had the pleasure of shooting clays with an eotech and i actually hit most of them with it.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually used an eotech on an AR-15 when I did my basic rifle course, and thought at the time that it would be a good choice for a shotgun. I'll start leaving ads around the house. Maybe my wife will get the hint for my birthday!
Thanks
Dov

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Steve K said:
I don't know about hunting, but I was told for HD and clay shooting, you just kinda aim the shotgun in the general direction of your target. I could be wrong, but I never fired a shotgun that had more then a ghost ring sight.
+1 for the ghost rings. Didn't realize how painfully easy quick target acquisition is with those things until I did that shotgun match out in the Pine Barrens a couple of weeks ago. Was the first time I put my 590 through it's paces, and I've got no complaints...I'm not really sure an optic would improve things much on a shotgun, JMHO.

G

·
I use a reg scope for hunting... Birds and clays I use a rib barrel, As far as a eotec seems a bit much for something so cheap as a ribbed barrel...

I also shot with the eotec, If you find the clay in time and its in the view finder you got it... if you dont get it into view its gone...

·
Banned
7,713 Posts
psydaddy said:
Would anyone like to comment on their experience w/optics? I'm debating getting a holo sight for my mossberg. I like the ability to keep both eyes open w/the holo, but have no experience using one. Some practical wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dov
I've installed Aimpoint T-1 micro sight on a Benelli M4. It's a fantastic combo and sits very close to the barrel. Eotech was a bit too high for my liking.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Jefe,

Good info here.

I think that if you are shooting slugs you might befit the most from any optical sights. a bead sight in my opinion has been enough when you are shooting bird shots, or even buck shots at ranges 50 yards and less. A holo sight for a shotgun, albeit cool and pleasing to look at mounted in your super tactical shotgun is a bit overkill to me. I rather put those in An AR or any other tactical rifle. From a competition perspective in a 3 gun match you will be placing yourself in the "open" division which may put you in a disadvantage if you are not at par with everyone's equipment or skill level.

I have a bead sight in my tactical mossberg 500 and have shot it in a couple of matches. It shoots fine. I just need to work on my tactics and skills a bit more :B. I have a a ghost ring in my mossberg 930spx. I have shot that in a couple of competitions. As far as my ability to hit the target, I have had more problems with my 930 spx. Both shotguns I have shot with bird shots in competition. But with the ghost ring I feel more confident with the slugs, but that could be all in my head ::)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts