Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to get an optic sight for a while and not knowing anything about them bumped into a guy at the range using a eotech not sure which model but he slapped it on my vector and boy was it sweet! Raises the question before I pull the trigger on one does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I suggest you settle-in and start reading the threads in this Topic Section (Optics). Lots of good information and depending on your use of the firearm/optic, will probably help you immensely.

Personally, after spending a lot of time behind the Big Three (EOTech, AimPoint, Trijicon), I choose EOTech. All were great, but EOTech was fastest. Trijicons were sweet, if you were just range plinking or in a static position. In a class on 25 students at a carbine school, that was the general consensus also.

You will find many differing opinions on 'which is best', it's more of a personal thing and what it's for thing.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I love the quick target acquisition and holographic sight on the EOTech. I hate how heavy they are, how short the battery life is (relative), and how bulky they are - they obstruct a lot of FOV. Keep in mind, my experience is with the larger 5XX series, and not the smaller XPS series.

If you've got the cash to spend, go with an Aimpoint micro. If you don't, get a Primary Arms micro dot. I got their older model, and I can't say how happy I am with it. Doubly so given its price. The new model offers even better visibility and better glass... At a fraction of the price of the big companies. Also, Primary Arms has AAA+++ customer service.

·
Sheepdog
1,514 Posts
It depends what you're looking for in an optic. I never had the budget for an EOTech. Are you looking for just a red-dot? something with magnification power? or both?

Primary Arms has quality optics and I have two products of theirs- the Primary Arms micro-dot (abt 80 bucks) a rugged good-quality red-dot, and the Primary arms 2.5x prismatic scope with ACSS reticle (220 bucks). I love both of them. The 2.5x has mid-range magnifying power with an illuminated CQB reticle that is really outstanding. It takes the place of the red-dot/magnifier combo and saves tons of money.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Aimpoint, EO Tech and Trijicon are the top 3 choices. We have a huge selection of these in stock. Come by, even bring your rifle by and you can see and feel all of them in person. We are very competitive with online prices on these items as well.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
One of my AR's wears an Aimpoint Pro. I like Aimpoint the best of all of the RDS. The Pro is one tough unit, water resident to 150 ft, knowing anything about water pressure tells us it's a tank!
The single, sharp 2MOA dot centered offers clean viewing with no other ambient light to distract the target picture. Making for lightning fast shots. From 25' out to 200 yards I don't think there's any better in RDS's. The price is great also.IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Aimpoint, EO Tech and Trijicon are the top 3 choices. We have a huge selection of these in stock. Come by, even bring your rifle by and you can see and feel all of them in person. We are very competitive with online prices on these items as well.
Why isn't DSI the default response whenever a question such as this is posted?

Reactions: DarkStorm

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Do a search on the site on this topic, as it has been covered many times. It's all about preference. I like the EOTech reticle as it can be a range finder and bottom hash where it meets the circle acts as a great point of aim when within 10 yards. I loved my XPS. Still mad that I sold it but I needed the funds.

Each optic has its own advantages and disadvantages, such as battery life, weight, field of view, etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, it appears I have a bit more research to do on the topic. The sight is for the range and home defense that's the purpose of everything I get to just be prepared and get some quality time in with my step son at the range. Dark storm I will take you up on the offer and drop by sometime soon when I get some time off from work. Till then more research. I thank everyone for their input. Oh also it's going on my kriss vector.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Try to read up on what the professionals say about optics. Search for people like Larry Vickers, Kyle Lamb, Chris Fry, and their opinions on optics.

Then ask yourself what your purpose is. Is this a range gun? Is it a home defense gun? Are you planning on using it to survive the apocalypse? That can determine what you get as well. If it's just a range gun, any optic will serve you ok. Personally I think for a range or plinker, Primary Arms makes some of the highest quality optics that are affordable.

If you want something more "battle ready", you're going to have to invest some money in it. Watch what Larry Vickers does to an aimpoint with a torture test, that's why I went that route. EOtechs are good, but I personally don't like them for a few reasons. Battery life is one, and the auto shut off is another. If you get an aimpoint micro, you can literally turn it on and not need to change the battery for a few years. To save money, I went with the ML2, which is bigger and heavier than the micro, and the battery only lasts 1 year (only 1 year) but I was able to get it used off gunbroker for like $300, so it was worth it. If I was doing it again, I would just save money longer and get the micro.

Next question is what ranges are you looking to use it at? If you're doing mostly 100 yards and closer, red dot like aimpoint or eotech are king. If you are doing mostly longer distance and rarely shooting in close, move up to a variable power scope in the 1-4 range or an ACOG.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.