Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been digging around, and reading a lot on this forum, great information from everyone by the way, and looking for opinions. My current sportsman license renewal is next year. I know by keeping the sportsman (premise) renewal is still every 5 years and not 3 like the carry permits. Where I have been starting to get conflicting information is do I have to complete required classes to renew my sportsman (premise) license? I know the FAQ that came out from the State Police August 27 2022 said NO (attached) but I have been starting to hear differently Just throwing this one out there. Has anyone heard differently? Im still holding off on my carry permit for now until the dust settles or I can finally move out of this state.

Oh, and I happened to have a copy of the old handbook (Suffolk County PD )
before the chaos began last year, figured I would share it just for the heck of it if someone wants a copy🤷‍♂️.

Attachments

· Registered
36 Posts
I decided to wait till all the court cases are settled to convert to a Carry license. Under the CCA you are very limited to carry anywhere.
I was going to wait also with my renewal coming up this April, and the cost of the Training. However, I found a Training course for $275 and decided to take it last week, turning in my Certificate on 1/16/23. Glad I did because the wait is now up to 4 months for the CCW, and that wait will only go up as time goes by.

· Registered
796 Posts
The wait went from 2-4 months to remove sportsman endorsement. Standard applications are 2yrs. Who knows how long the wait will be in 1yr. For that reason alone, I would get my training completed and the certificate submitted. I cant imagine NY not having a training requirement. At best, msybe limit the cost

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,063 Posts
I have managed for decades not accidentally shooting anyone while qualifying for 30 years in the reserve or while target shooting and will be damned before I shell out bucks for some training course, especially since all the places and areas that Hochul insists prohibit carrying, are usually the very places that can be unsafe and should allow CC. As for a piss test, I was involved in random urinalysis for my security clearances for over 35 years. Stick it Hochul. For the same reason I simply renew my passport and will not pay Newyorkistan more for some "enhanced" DL, NY can continue to go to Hell.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was at the SCPD Pistol Permit office yesterday to add a rifle and handgun to my permit. ( a couple of .22lr's for indoor use because my ammo cost is getting out of hand :rolleyes: ) The woman confirmed that for my existing sportsman license i will receive the renewal paperwork in the mail approximately 2 months prior to the expiration date, and all that is required is a $10 check. Im sticking with this license for now.

· Registered
280 Posts
I was at the SCPD Pistol Permit office yesterday to add a rifle and handgun to my permit. ( a couple of .22lr's for indoor use because my ammo cost is getting out of hand :rolleyes: ) The woman confirmed that for my existing sportsman license i will receive the renewal paperwork in the mail approximately 2 months prior to the expiration date, and all that is required is a $10 check. Im sticking with this license for now.
its the same process for renewing a carry after 3 years your only do the training once it was super easy i had my carry in 6 weeks do it now before u will have go wait a year

· Registered
19 Posts
I live out East and I still have my Sportsman/Carry Permit. A friend just invited me to go with him to a Indoor Range in Southampton that he is a Member of . Since I haven't been to the range since I renewed my Permit in June .22 and I'm still not 100% sure about what I can and can't do so I just called Suffolk Country Sheriff's Office where my Permit was ssued to ask and the Officer in the Pistol Division and he told me that there was no problem taking my Pistol to the Range..I could treat my Permit same as before ....I probably should have got his name and badge number ...LOL

· Premium Member
999 Posts
I go to the range all the time with a sportsmen license. I never had any problems. Under the new law I don't think you are allowed to stop any where.

· Registered
2,628 Posts
I live out East and I still have my Sportsman/Carry Permit. A friend just invited me to go with him to a Indoor Range in Southampton that he is a Member of . Since I haven't been to the range since I renewed my Permit in June .22 and I'm still not 100% sure about what I can and can't do so I just called Suffolk Country Sheriff's Office where my Permit was ssued to ask and the Officer in the Pistol Division and he told me that there was no problem taking my Pistol to the Range..I could treat my Permit same as before ....I probably should have got his name and badge number ...LOL
No need for name and badge. There are only three investigators there (men), the supervising sergeant (a woman), and the office manager (also a woman). Each one will tell you the same: your license is the same as before. So will your Premise/Carry be unless you do training.

I go to the range all the time with a sportsmen license. I never had any problems. Under the new law I don't think you are allowed to stop any where.
For SCPD, maybe. Not so with Sheriffs. Same as before.

· Registered
796 Posts
No need for name and badge. There are only three investigators there (men), the supervising sergeant (a woman), and the office manager (also a woman). Each one will tell you the same: your license is the same as before. So will your Premise/Carry be unless you do training.

For SCPD, maybe. Not so with Sheriffs. Same as before.
How is it the same as before? You are no longer allowed to stop at any privately held property. You need permission or a sign stating firearms welcome.
No gas, McDonald's, 7/11, etc. Did I miss read something? Not being sarcastic.

· Registered
280 Posts
How is it the same as before? You are no longer allowed to stop at any privately held property. You need permission or a sign stating firearms welcome.

i think your over thinking this just live your life you will be fine no one is locking anyone up for there stupid "sensitive locations"

· Registered
2,628 Posts
No, I wasn't clear in what I was saying or understanding what you were asking. I was only speaking to what the Sheriff's Office was instructing people on with regarding to their/the state's restrictions on the license itself with a current Sportsman or the new "Premises/Carry."

I was actually told by the Sheriffs not to make any stops when going back and forth to the range. Other than that, same as before.
Now that you mention it, I remember you saying you were interested in the "Concealed Carry/Premises" in order to go hunting since you were told what you mentioned about the range only. So far, you are the only one who has reported that of the folks I have spoken to. Everyone else has just said "treat it like your Sportsman."

· Registered
12,456 Posts
No, I wasn't clear in what I was saying or understanding what you were asking. I was only speaking to what the Sheriff's Office was instructing people on with regarding to their/the state's restrictions on the license itself with a current Sportsman or the new "Premises/Carry."

Now that you mention it, I remember you saying you were interested in the "Concealed Carry/Premises" in order to go hunting since you were told what you mentioned about the range only. So far, you are the only one who has reported that of the folks I have spoken to. Everyone else has just said "treat it like your Sportsman."
One of my colleagues brothers obtained his Business/Sportsman back in 2012. The Sheriff at the time did not give anyone a Unrestricted. If he wasn’t working, he could not make any stops for food or beverage going to or from the range.
At least the Sheriffs is not slowing things down using the Cyber Attack as an excuse to make people wait when they completed the 18 hour course.

· Registered
2,628 Posts
One of my colleagues brothers obtained his Business/Sportsman back in 2012. The Sheriff at the time did not give anyone a Unrestricted. If he wasn’t working, he could not make any stops for food or beverage going to or from the range.
At least the Sheriffs is not slowing things down using the Cyber Attack as an excuse to make people wait when they completed the 18 hour course.
The Sheriff's called the Unrestricted a "Full Carry" and wrote that on your license instead of "Sportsman" or "Sportsman/Business." There were only a few dozen back then, mostly to Assistant District Attorneys, unique jobs, or other issue like threats, etc. In 2015, they started issuing them to people who had a pistol license with no problems for at least five years and who took a course covering use of force in NYS by a DCJS certified instructor. You had to submit a notarized letter requesting it.

The "Sportsman/Business" was/is a de-facto full carry and there are thousands of these sicne they were so easy to get. You just needed a business. They were good for everything a Sportsman was and "allowed" you to carry a gun while "conducting business." As a business owner, it was up to you to decide what that was. If you had a "Sportsman/Employment" license, it was up to your boss what that meant.

Most people had "Sportsman." It was good for hunting, target shooting, home defense, and carrying back and forth in those places. There were no restrictions on stopping where, how many times, or for how long. Nor were there any instances of someone having their license suspended or revoked for doing so. They just didn't want you to leave it in the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts