Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting pumped for Archery, I have a few decent size doe that need to be harvested.
The butchers are expensive $130 for a regular cut wax paper at the place on 17B in Bethel.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
How's the hunting up there. We go a little south of you. Eldred area. Been drying up a little over the last couple of years.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's the hunting up there. We go a little south of you. Eldred area. Been drying up a little over the last couple of years.
Loaded with Deer , I get a DMP every season for 3H, Town of Callicoon. Many farms in my area.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
boosti do you let your catch "age" before cooking?

A few years back I sold a 30-06 to a local who promised to send some of his venison my way. Never made it, but he told me that he let's the meat "age" like steak and it's tender and not gamey. I'd like to

try some if you have any for sale.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts

A few years back I sold a 30-06 to a local who promised to send some of his venison my way. Never made it, but he told me that he let's the meat "age" like steak and it's tender and not gamey. I'd like to

Its not really aging as you would think like steak, its more like bleeding, this time of year, its good to have a butcher unless you have a large walk in. Once the weather turns, hang it in a shed for a few days then butcher it yourself

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
bring it back to the Island and go see Rich at FINS TO FEATHERS he only gets around $85 for a deer wraped in bucher paper

·
SUPER STAR
5,508 Posts
I have gotten 2 deer in my short hunting career. I skinned and butchered them both myself. I had the chance to watch someone do one first...but a youtube vid is just the same.

Its not that hard as long as you have a nice set of knives.

Besides, you never know if your getting "your" deer back.

View attachment 42657

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I prefer to skin ASAP. Marinating can also make the venison less gamey and tender. The weather is very warm, ticks are a major concern. I believe it's illegal to sell venison that isn't farm raised.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Was upstate this weekend. Saw lots of deer along the road (Delaware county).

TONS of turkey too.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bring it back to the Island and go see Rich at FINS TO FEATHERS he only gets around $85 for a deer wraped in bucher paper
I prefer the shrink wrap process, Danny in Oakdale charges the same amount. I might butcher it with the neighbor who lived in Alaska.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I'll be up in Deposit next weekend, might have to reduce the animal population a bit.

·
Banned
0 Posts
A member here told me about a guy in rocky point. I used him last year to butcher a doe for me. Did it in his garage with me right there. Decent job for $50 bucks and you know your getting your deer. Wrapped in paper.
Pm me if you want his name & number

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
If you are near Bethel NY, ther are 2 butchers nearby. The closest is Ed Grund in Cochecton Center. He's a few blocks away from the intersection of rt 52 and Tyler rd. I believe he's on Mohn rd. He's a very large butcher, and will hold onto your meat for several weeks if needed. His # 845-252-7363.

And then there's Rudy Rears 1-570-729-7900. He's in PA, just on the other side of the Narrowsburgh bridge.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are near Bethel NY, ther are 2 butchers nearby. The closest is Ed Grund in Cochecton Center. He's a few blocks away from the intersection of rt 52 and Tyler rd. I believe he's on Mohn rd. He's a very large butcher, and will hold onto your meat for several weeks if needed. His # 845-252-7363.

And then there's Rudy Rears 1-570-729-7900. He's in PA, just on the other side of the Narrowsburgh bridge.
I know the deer carcass can't cross the NY/PA border because of CWD. I see his sign on 17B by Perry Rd. I might give him a try.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I know the deer carcass can't cross the NY/PA border because of CWD. I see his sign on 17B by Perry Rd. I might give him a try.
. Since when. I hunt in Hancock and stay in Pa and never had a problem with bringing a carcass back and forth. You have a link or is it in the 2014-15 guide

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
. Since when. I hunt in Hancock and stay in Pa and never had a problem with bringing a carcass back and forth. You have a link or is it in the 2014-15 guide
DEC has a check point opening day for PA. They stopped me at the Damascus Cochecton bridge. I showed the receipt for my deer which was being processed.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
We always brought our deer to Rudy. Never heard of it not being allowed. I will tell you though, if you shoot a doe, by PA law the tag has to stay with the head. So if its not a buck head your taking home, be sure to make labels for the venison which includes all your license info and name and address of butcher. I got stopped once at Throgs Neck bridge with a box full of venison. They almost fined me because I had no tags with the meat. Luckily I had the butchers #, which they called and verified I just picked up the meat from them that morning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts