Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a confirmed 400 pound plus black bear in Bethel. The logger has seen him again and said this bear wasn't afraid of him on his skidder when he was driving through the woods.
Might have use my .300 Weatherby Magnum!

·
Banned
5,971 Posts
Page 41 of the hunting guide. I'm assuming this is for rifle in the areas in green?
This guy wasn't so lucky the first day of the regular season 4 years ago
Think twice before you take one. The meat is garbage and a 1/2 mount will run at least $1,200

·
Sharp Shooter!
1,181 Posts
Page 41 of the hunting guide. I'm assuming this is for rifle in the areas in green?
Think twice before you take one. The meat is garbage and a 1/2 mount will run at least $1,200
Not much bigger than a black lab. Matter of fact my lab is bigger than that bear

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The special September season started last year in my area. The majority of hunters won't shoot bear because of the cost. That is definitely a very young bear.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe the diet of most bear is from the garbage piled in many of the camps in Liberty, Fallsburg and Thompson in Sullivan County.
The bear around Bethel, Callicoon, Fremont, Cochecton are eating a good amount of berries,corn and other plants around farms.
The locals were all talking about opening day,all are looking forward to eating bear steaks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I butcher about a dozen bears every season for clients, and every one has a funky smell to the meat, and is very greasy. I personally won't eat it.

And Phil, I probably would have charged you about $1000 for a 1/2 mount on that size bear....

·
Banned
5,971 Posts
I butcher about a dozen bears every season for clients, and every one has a funky smell to the meat, and is very greasy. I personally won't eat it.

And Phil, I probably would have charged you about $1000 for a 1/2 mount on that size bear....
. You did it along with a 10 pointer and a coyote tanning. The deer is the pic above. Nice work .Thanks. All look for my receipt and come in for a refund. LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
I got my Bear up in Maine a few years back was eating a lot of blue berry's and other fruit the meat was very fatty greasy tried cooking it in many different ways i did not like it gave all the meat to a friend
my mount how ever came out grate did a full body mount and i have to say FINS TO FEATHERS nailed it again for me hoping to have a big buck for Richie this season
to Butcher and mount

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I have a confirmed 400 pound plus black bear in Bethel. The logger has seen him again and said this bear wasn't afraid of him on his skidder when he was driving through the woods.
Might have use my .300 Weatherby Magnum!
I wouldn't take a 400lb bear. I have no way of getting it out of the woods. The rug would be cool to have, but it would get destroyed on the drag.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't take a 400lb bear. I have no way of getting it out of the woods. The rug would be cool to have, but it would get destroyed on the drag.
I hope the bear doesn't run far. I have a tractor and bucket to lift it. The taxidermy is only about a mile away on 17B he's helped me drag out a heavy buck a few years ago I shot with a bow.
Hunting is plenty of hard work after the shot is made. The tractor is new and should be capable of getting it done. I hope to get in a close shot !

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

What do you charge for skull mount and deer butchering . I used Danny in Oakdale, however, he's a far drive for me in Nassau. Guy upstate is convenient on my way back to LI.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
I hope the bear doesn't run far. I have a tractor and bucket to lift it. The taxidermy is only about a mile away on 17B he's helped me drag out a heavy buck a few years ago I shot with a bow.
Hunting is plenty of hard work after the shot is made. The tractor is new and should be capable of getting it done. I hope to get in a close shot !
Who do you use up there? I'll be hunting Wurtsboro this year just south of Monticello.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
I would love to shoot something worthy of mounting.
I've been talking to a bunch of guys I work with about going to Maine or Canada for a bear hunt.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.