Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Flashburn Studio/Bullseye Brassware
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen alot of posts stating that some members have gotten good deals on guns online. Anyone have any suggestions on some reputable, popular online gun shops? I have found some of course, but don't know how reputable they are. Most likely, I will be purchasing at SSS, Campsite, LISC or Coliseum Gun Traders since I am in Nassau, but want to get an idea of what the models I am interested in are going for, before I go shopping. This is my first hangun purchase, so i'm trying to educate myself. I think buying online might be too complicated for me since it's my first purchase. So far I went to SSS. I have been there before for ammo and rifle repairs, and the guys were very friendly and helpful, as usual. I was looking specifically at the WALTHER P22 for my first pistol, and they wanted $429 for the Nickel and Black. Is this a fair price? I am also interested in the Sig Mosquito, but they didn't have any in stock for me to handle. I still have to visit the other shops I mentioned to do some comparison shopping before I decide which one I want, and who has the best price of course. Any idea what these models are going for retail, and whats a fair price? Also, are these purchases usually negotiable? They obviously know i'm new to handguns, and i'm also female so i'm thinking that may work against me in negotiating price. Any input is appreciated!

·
Banned
6,050 Posts
Online store prices look great until you factor FFL fees, and possible COBIS fees if applicable.

Just my opinion, but there are exceptional local stores whose prices, selection and customer service beat online stores.

Plus, there's just something about feeling the gun in my hand before buying that appeals to me.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
I've bought at CampSite and simply mentioned the price I saw on Gallery of Guns and they honored it. Just ask.

Dov

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Dasgreif said:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=211630039

+ $35 shipping

+ $25-40 FFL

= $420

So if you can get it for $420 otd including tax thats not too bad of a deal.
And another $50 for Cobis if the firearm is new. I've had 2 transfers and Cobis' done by The Suffolk Sportsman, who I highly recommend, $100 for transfer and Cobis. If it is an expensive firearm, it's a wash when you factor in the tax savings.

·
Lousy Shot
16,249 Posts
I would always try to give my business to a local shop. Give them a chance to come close on price and order exactly what you want, if they don't have it in stock at the moment. Saving $50 on a $500-1000 purchase is nothing compared to the cost of the ammo I'll put through the gun during its lifetime.

JMO

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
I've shopped, and bought something, at a whole lot of gun shops over the past years.
I've also bought on line and had it shipped to a local FFL.
I like saving a buck. I like knowing I got the best deal I could have, without it becomming a mission.
I also know the value of a dealer that will stand behind what they sell, offer service for it, and be there to handle a problem should it arise. Hard to put a price on that.
Buying on line, you're pretty much on your own to deal witht the manufacturer. Fine for C&R, used and those hard to find, but must have, items.
For me, if I'm buying a new piece, I'll go to one of the brick and mortar guys every time. Customer service, to me, has to be factored into the price.
I've had a couple of problems with things I've bought over the years. That is where you realize the couple of dollars more you paid in the store all pays off.
Of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to pay $50 for a magazine that available everywhere on line for $30, but within reason, I'll stay local.
Check the many threads here on the forum and it'll give you a good indication of who does a good job of standing behind what they sell. Some are better than others.
For what it's worth - Within the past year, I had a problem with something I bought at SSS, brought it into the store expecting a bit of neck rubbing and a couple of "too bad"'s. Mike stepped right up, handled the problem, made it right beyond my expectations and sent me on my way with no fuss. So if I dropped a couple of dollars more than I would have had I shopped the poo out of it, it was well worth it.
SSS is not the only shop out there doing a good job, but they do maintain a pretty high standard of customer service.

·
Sharp Shooter!
414 Posts
The Big Ox said:
Online store prices look great until you factor FFL fees, and possible COBIS fees if applicable.

Just my opinion, but there are exceptional local stores whose prices, selection and customer service beat online stores.

Plus, there's just something about feeling the gun in my hand before buying that appeals to me.
It's great to support the local gun shops, that way when you need a box of ammo or something you can get it right away. Yup, to feel the gun in your hand and the knowledge of local law provided by the shop owner/stasff is a plus also.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Also try Hunter Sports in Massapequa. Try to go during week when owner Mark is there or else you'll deal with some less amicable types. He will meet or beat prices from some of the other local shops.  They have an online catalog showing what guns are available. The Walthers are listed for $420 and less depending on what model. If it says "in stock" they can get the gun in 2-3 days and usually for a little less than listed. Plus when you buy a gun from them you get 20% off any accessiories for it for up to a year. I bought my Glock this way and get the best deal anywhere. And mentioned how you saw their ad on this site.

·
Registered
361 Posts
As many have already stated shipping, insurance, ffl and cobis make online shopping not such a god deal, but more important to me is customer service and support.
If you buy a gun locally you hav e someone to easily go back to with questions and concerns or if it fails someone to support you.
Depending on where you buy you also may get other perks like free instruction and range time.

Ask around.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
I once went the online route for a used Gen III S&W .45. But after adding in the shipping and transfer fee, there was no bargain anymore. And, if the gun would have been new, the CoBis costs would have hurt more.

Also, please remember, when you buy locally, you're also cultivating a relationship. And, in this sport, a good relationship with folks like South Shore, and Hunters Essentials, is worth its weight in gold.

Case in point ::: One of our members brought a revolver. Well, the .44 Mag broke apart the other evening. Member brings the gun back to Mike @ SSS, and Mike gives him his money back, and sells him a different gun. Now, what's going to happen to that broken gun. It'll go back to the maker, get repaired, and back to SSS, as a used gun. Mike owns a gun he brought to retail as new and can only sell it now as used. The maker won't take the gun back. They'll only repair it. SSS is going to take the loss because they also value the relationship. With an online dealer, you'd have to pay the round trip shipping for repair. And that's "IF" they even took the gun back at all. They might just give you the phone number of the manufacturer and tell you to work it out. After all, they already sold the gun. They already made their money. Why get involved with client # B-064342 ?? When I walk into Hunters Essentials or South Shore I'm not client #9. They know my name. They may call me "A$$hole", :) but believe me, they know my name.

As for me, I'll try to spend as much of my money locally as possible.

Don't get me wrong. Shop around for the best deal. I like saving money as well, but after factoring in shipping, transfer fees, CoBIS, etc ... the online deal isn't as nice as it seemed to be.

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
+1 to what T.Webb said above.

FatWhiteMan said:
Try Cheaper Than Dirt.
CTD gets $394 for the P2 in black. For that price, I'd buy local.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/13485-55.html

For that matter, I've bought all my pistols local. And all my new ones came from SSS. To me, Mike and the crew are worth the extra few bucks, if it even was an extra few bucks.

T.Webb said:
...When I walk into Hunters Essentials or South Shore I'm not client #9.
Spitzer shops at Hunter's and SSS?

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Quoted from T.Webb
...When I walk into Hunters Essentials or South Shore I'm not client #9.

Spitzer shops at Hunter's and SSS?

I was wondering if anyone would get that reference.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
When using Davidson's Gun Genie, it won't list a number of firearms, usually due to mag. cap. restrictions. Anybody know a workaround to get a fair quote?

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Big Matt said:
When using Davidson's Gun Genie, it won't list a number of firearms, usually due to mag. cap. restrictions. Anybody know a workaround to get a fair quote?
Change your zip code to a free state!

Dov

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have dealt with both. On line I got a good deal from both Century, and J&G. In local shops I got a good deal from Kenny at Classic. On line I was just plain Lucky. The Beauty of face to face is you get to see, and hold the gun before you buy it. The bad part of Auction Arms, Gun Brokers ETC There again is no guarantee that the seller won't stick it to you.They probably won't, but   "Lesse Faire"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.