Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago someone posted a request for book recommendations, which I can't find now. However, in that thread one of you recommended "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes. Having heard about it being a novel of the Vietnam War I decided to give it a whirl because Historical Fiction is my go-to genre. Right up my ally.

Damn you! You have to warn a guy if there is going to be something like the leech that gets Fisher! Jeebus Cries! That was so cringe inducing that the boys have gone into hiding and may never come back!

I actually had to skip a few pages. /Shudders.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is Fisher a character in the book?
Yes. And a leech crawls into a very VERY! bad place to have anything into. Really, I wouldn't have bought the book had I known what I was in for.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I'm not too sure if it was me that recommended it, but I read that a couple of years ago. My nephew, also a Marine (2nd Lt. in Quantico TBS right now) gave it to me after he read it. GREAT book.

I read lots of books on the Vietnam war, particularly USMC-related books, and I remember I had the same feeling reading "Matterhorn" that I did reading "Fields Of Fire" by James Webb ('68 Annapolis grad, USMC officer, Vietnam Vet/rifle platoon and company commander awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and two Purple Hearts, Secretary of the Navy, 2016 Presidential candidate).

"We Were Soldiers Once...And Young" was another of those books, but about two battles the Army had.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
The Crying Game is a great crime story you would enjoy then.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
SEAL's in the Rung Sat often wear panty hose sent from home to prevent that very nasty issue. No, I wouldn't make of fun of them to their faces about it.

We were soldiers once and young. That's a book that should be on everyone who makes a point of reading excellent books about the war. They made a pretty good movie about the battle but the book is stellar.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read Webb's "Fields of Fire" and the next one he did, "A Country Such as This" which were both terrific. As for "We were Young Once" I liked it and learned a lot but I found some of it to go into details that were a bit too much "Inside Baseball" for me. Things about organizational structures, who was the company/battalion S2, and things like that. Powerful book though.

Reactions: C6NY

·
200 Warning Points, with a side of bacon.
2,868 Posts
And I thought this thread was going to be about someone getting cut off in traffic by a vehicle with an LIF sticker.

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Uhhhhh.....don't Google "Candiru". OK that's your warning. But they are indigenous to South America AFAIK, not Vietnam- SE Asian leeches get pretty big though- but even in Long Island Sound I've seen leeches up to 3". Never heard of what apparently happens to "Fisher" in that book though. I am not sure if the whole Candiru thing is urban legend or so rare as to be hypothetically nigh impossible either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.