Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Wow, how sad. I never knew it was like that. Beautiful. Now, not so much.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
in it's day Penn Station was an esthetic marvel, rivaling Grand Central Station now. Look at the US Postal Building just west of Penn Station for more of an idea to it's original grandeur. Both buildings were designed and constructed by the same crew. When you walk up the stairs from the platform with the wrought iron and brass railing by your side, put your hand on it. It's pretty much all that's left.
A reminder of what once was…..

"Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves. Even when we had Penn Station, we couldn't afford to keep it clean. We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed."
- "Farewell to Penn Station," New York Times editorial, October 30, 1963

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
I go through that miserable warren of tunnels and hallways 5 days a week. It's an architectural nightmare.
I've traveled through Europe by train a bit and even the most humble train stations are more attractive than that pile of concrete.
Even the main train station in Frankfurt Germany was rebuilt after being bombed to scrap by the Allies.
I guess New Yorkers are used to scurrying through tunnels like rats.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
I go through that miserable warren of tunnels and hallways 5 days a week. It's an architectural nightmare.
I've traveled through Europe by train a bit and even the most humble train stations are more attractive than that pile of concrete.
Even the main train station in Frankfurt Germany was rebuilt after being bombed to scrap by the Allies.
I guess New Yorkers are used to scurrying through tunnels like rats.
I trust the subway rats more than the other animals that live there.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
It made the GCS look like a dump

Reactions: Mad Russian
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.