Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone here has On star in use on there vehicle . I just purchased a used  truck and it has  On star  ,just wondering if it's any good ?  I don't want to activate it if the system is not worthwhile . :-/

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
I am afraid of OnStar. If they can locate you to send emergency vehicles, what's to stop the government from taking over the company because they are too big to fail and watching where everybody is at all times?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
When I put on my tin foil hat and start thinking about it, I realize the on-star people can use the system to listen to whats going on in my car without my knowledge. Which is why I would never buy a car with on-star  8)

·
Registered
938 Posts
MRobs23 said:
When I put on my tin foil hat and start thinking about it, I realize the on-star people can use the system to listen to whats going on in my car without my knowledge. Which is why I would never buy a car with on-star 8)
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

·
Registered
607 Posts
MRobs23 said:
When I put on my tin foil hat and start thinking about it, I realize the on-star people can use the system to listen to whats going on in my car without my knowledge. Which is why I would never buy a car with on-star 8)
+1, but let's go a step further... The technology exists to spy on you through your cell phone, even when it's off, that's why I never carry a cell phone. My tin foil hat is glued on permanently!

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
The wife has it in her car I like her having it in case some thing happens if she gets in to an accident may be a hit and run at lest they can get intouch with her if she can't answer they can then send her help it also has a phone service so she can call me or call for help I don't have any thing to hide from the government if they want to track us go for it i think they have more important people to go after them a working mom IMO get it if not for you for your family's safety

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
deadpair said:
I was curious if anyone here has On star in use on there vehicle . I just purchased a used truck and it has On star ,just wondering if it's any good ? I don't want to activate it if the system is not worthwhile . :-/
I see no use for it in a populated area like Long Island. If you lived upstate I could see it.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
MRobs23 said:
In almost every car there is a fuse or module you can remove to deactivate it. But in the newer models, this will also kill the Bluethooth system. This is a very popular topic in the car forums. Many people do disable it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
it also functions like a lo jack and they can use it to disable the vehicle if it is stolen. Oh and I think they can tell you where to find a good Chinese resturant in your vicinity
-Jim

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Works great. Downloads directions directly to GPS unit so you dont have to spend time typing it in while driving. Calling operator unlocks should you lock keys in car.
Nothing I would not have any longer. In accident automatically signals out for help. Esp when your cell phone goes flying from the cupholder during a collision. Cell mins are purchased in a bank of minutes, not cheap but worth it just in case.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My car has it. I suscribe to the automatic crash notification. I get free diagnostics as well. I chose this car because my wheel came off my truck on the Taconic pkwy couple years ago and I was lucky that my cell had a signal. I was able to txt family who called the SP. OnStar also has a built-in device (by request) for the deaf to make phone calls as well IIRC.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Wow, tin foil hats aplenty. LOL I have it disabled in the car because my wife only drives locally. That being said, even though it is deactivated if they wanted to spy as people seem to think they would, then they can do it anyway except I am not paying for it. I will say that when it was activated, (free year) the directions were top notch and got me where I needed to be, much better than using mapquest.

If you believe that the Government is tracking you through Onstar, which is fine and is your right to believe so, then you better get rid of your cable or Fios, cell phone, internet, buy a car pre 1980 and just don't turn on the radio. Don't use a ham radio, walkie talkie, cb or anything else that uses the airwaves. Wrap your whole house in tin foil and only use candle because they might get in through the electrical sockets.

I don't mean to poke fun, but I am going to live my life and enjoy it. I don't want to worry about anyone spying on me, it is just to tedious. Honestly, do you think they have enough people to watch every single person in the us? If you do you are sadly mistaken because if that was the case, 9-11 would never have happened, there would be no drug dealers on the street and all the escaped criminals would be in jail, not to mention the child molesters who are searching on line for new victims.

Oh, if you have LOJACK you better disable it too, those black unmarked chevys driving around are really just land helicopters operated by the CIA.

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
DefMan said:
A pre 1980 car will still work after a nuclear attack right? The EMP blast don't affect older cars?
Gm cars started with HEI ignitions in 1975. Chrysler started in 1972, but made standard in 1973.
Ford started Dura-spark came standard in 1975.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Its does have its perks.  

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.